New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS X glitch?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

I asked this question in another forum, but never got an answer so I thought i would give it a try here.

While doing some cataloging and editing of a music collection I noticed an odd thing regarding re-naming files. Every now and then i would run across a file that would not let me re-name it until after i rebooted. I was using iTunes to do the cataloging, but I don't think iTunes had anything to do with it as I had an open window to the drive with the files and was doing the actual re-naming there, not in iTunes.

To head off the obivious, yes I know about permissions and locking files, but this was not the case. I used the "file info" function and made sure the files were not locked and were set to read/write. Yet, i still ran across a few files that could not be re-named until after i rebooted.

My question is why... is this possibly a glitch/bug/feature of OS X? Has anyone else come across this problem and can tell me what is up?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I don't know if this is the case, but there is another file lock that is not apparent. If the file is in use you may not be able to change it, until it is released.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

if youre familiar with unix, i would suggest using the command line to try changing the file name to test your theory.

only 2 commands you'll need are:
cd and mv

QUOTE Thanks
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
I don't know if this is the case, but there is another file lock that is not apparent. If the file is in use you may not be able to change it, until it is released.
Yes, but the file was not in actual use. It wasn't loaded into iTunes at all.
QUOTE Thanks
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAddikt
if youre familiar with unix, i would suggest using the command line to try changing the file name to test your theory.

only 2 commands you'll need are:
cd and mv
Good idea, will give it a try next time i come across one that will not re-name.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
Yes, but the file was not in actual use. It wasn't loaded into iTunes at all.
Besides, you can rename most active files under OS X, so it shouldn't matter whether or not it is in use.

Do you use Filevault? If you do, try switching that off unless you REALLY need it - it's pretty buggy...
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

now i have a very particular way of keeping track of files myself, but why dont you just use the ID3 tags in iTunes instead of renaming the files?

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

If I have my music in Itunes I usually just right click on the file and do whatever right in Itunes. (And for those who don't know, Yes, you can use a Logitech Mouse in OSX and Right Click to your hearts content!!) I get so sick and tired of Mac Haters that say you are STUCK with a One Button mouse. Not true at all!

I have not ran into your problem as yet but if I do I will figure it out and get back to you. Only time I could not rename, ETC is if the permissions were set to read only but you have that covered. Will see if I can duplicate it.
QUOTE Thanks
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7
If I have my music in Itunes I usually just right click on the file and do whatever right in Itunes.

I have not ran into your problem as yet but if I do I will figure it out and get back to you. Only time I could not rename, ETC is if the permissions were set to read only but you have that covered. Will see if I can duplicate it.
Yes, i can change the name in iTunes, but I can not change the actual name of the file on the hard drive itself. As a matter of fact, it isn't a problem of iTunes, forget that. It is something i guess in OS X or something. Without iTunes open i can open a window and go to the hard drive where the music is and open a folder. Simply right clicking (yep i too use a logitech mouse) should allow you to re-name the file... most of the time it works, but now and then i come to a file that refuses to be re-named until after i reboot and then it will. It has done this now at least a dozen times over the last couple of days.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Sorry to repeat myself, but Filevault is OFF right?
QUOTE Thanks
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
Sorry to repeat myself, but Filevault is OFF right?
Yep, i just checked and it is turned off...
QUOTE Thanks
the_New_guy

the_New_guy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;

that is funny u don't have control over ur computer.

Mac OSX is the bomb :bomb:
The Gadget Cast Gadgets.in
QUOTE Thanks
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_New_guy
that is funny u don't have control over ur computer.
Ya, it's a real laugh riot alright. We all sit around in a circle just cracking up every day about it. Haven't had so much fun since the last time i installed Xp, except maybe the last time I installed SuSE v.9.2 after Novell took it over...what a disaster to a good product that turned out to be...

Jeez, don't ya just love offshore tech support....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Panther/Software Install | should panther come with OS 9? »