New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Troubleshooting tip...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I had a real weird issue recently with a transaction entry widget for iBank... the durned thing wouldn't work for nothing. Deleting the pref files, reinstalling, etc... nothing worked. After unsuccessfully troubleshooting with tech support via their forums, I decided I'd have to get my hands dirty and go on a serious bug hunt.

I found the widget worked fine on my wife's account and on a backup install of OS X, so clearly it was my account. So something must be amiss in my user Library. After carefully deleting and restoring items in my user Library and re-logging in-between, I narrowed the culprit down to a hidden pref file:
~/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist

I have no idea how or why this hidden pref file would block a 3rd party widget from working, yet clearly it was. This is also at least the 2nd time I've had a problem in all the time I've been using OS X that I've narrowed down a bug to that particular file. I'm betting now it may have been the culprit a couple times I decided to just whack the Library and start from scratch.

So... the reason I bring this up is that when someone is having problems with an app or their system, it may be worth having them delete this file and relog to see if it was the culprit. Being a hidden file and not an obvious place to start even if it wasn't, deleting it may save some headaches.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

that's interesting, I wonder if it will cure the firefox crashes at work that only harm my user account
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
that's interesting, I wonder if it will cure the firefox crashes at work that only harm my user account
It's worth a shot. I stared and stared at the contents of that file and am absolutely baffled that it could have caused a problem, yet so it did. *shrug*

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
karudzo

karudzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM

Thanks for the tip.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Flashing Screen | Recovering Files.. »