New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - I accidentally deleted my OS :-(

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

onlyafrika

onlyafrika is on a distinguished road

By accident, when attempting to install windows on my iMac 24" 3,06 Ghz, I reformatted and installed (failed installation) to the partition where the MacOS were located.
Now I'm unable to reinstall MacOS.
Can anyone help me?
TIA
QUOTE Thanks
macgig

macgig will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" 2007 Aluminum iMac 2.0 Ghz | 4 gigs ram | 10.6.8

sounds like you need to startup from the osx install dvd, and reinstall osx again.

someone correct me if i'm wrong.

you do have backups of your stuff right?
QUOTE Thanks
onlyafrika

That is correct. I have to reinstall from the OS dvd. I don't have any backup, because it's only a couple of days since I got the Mac, so there is nothing installed that needed backup.
My main problem is that I'm not able to install from the Mac OS dvd.
In the Disctool menu, I'm able to see the hdd, the partition that is reformatted to NTFS (where the original OS were) and the rest of the disc.
The tool doesn't allow me to delete or repair or do anything (all choices faded)
So here I am without having a clue what to do :-(
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

you could buy a new HD, swap it into your mac, install on that, then use the original drive externally - and reformat it FAT32 or HFS+

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
sniper01a

sniper01a is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15.4" 2.4 Ghz, Core 2 duo, 4Gb RAM, 320 GB HD

onlyafrika - See my OS X 10.5 install instructions here:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sho...966#post723966

You might need to use disk Utility to completely format the drive for MAC then it should install.

sniper01a
QUOTE Thanks
onlyafrika

I followed the instruction..........after booting from dvd, I choosed language, next, accepted licence, and got to the select destination screen. The "Option" button is faded down, so it's not clickable...............
QUOTE Thanks
macgig

macgig will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" 2007 Aluminum iMac 2.0 Ghz | 4 gigs ram | 10.6.8

most osx users would format as a mac os extended (journaled) drive.... disk utility wont let you format as ntfs, so not sure how you got that.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

IF you are really stuck, download an Ubuntu live cd, boot up from that and try and let linux reformat the drive

then try os x reformat again
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

so... i was kind of hoping this would come out in the wash, but since it hasn't...

why were you loading windows directly onto an imac?

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
karudzo

karudzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM

Ubuntu- the way to go here.
QUOTE Thanks
onlyafrika

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
IF you are really stuck, download an Ubuntu live cd, boot up from that and try and let linux reformat the drive

then try os x reformat again
I have the Ubuntu cd ready now, do I choose install ubuntu? or is it some other way to reformat the drive?
and where in the process do I stop?
I'm unknown to this.............
TIA
QUOTE Thanks
onlyafrika

Problem solved!!
Thanks for the advice using Ubuntu, it solved my problem. After installing/formatting with Ubuntu, I got the option "GUI" avilable, that's what was needed to reinstall MacOS.
QUOTE Thanks
tdg911

tdg911 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro dual Quad core, 8G ram 30" Cinema

Ubuntu to the rescue again Glad you were able to get past that hurtle!
QUOTE Thanks
MacbookWilis

MacbookWilis is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4Ghz, 4gigs RAM white macbook, Seagate Hybrid Drive =)

that happend to me when i tried bootcamp and accidentally mounted windows on my mac partition and when i tried to stop the installation it was to late, and i had messed up the particion for mac i couldn't even install OS X because of the partition problem, so what i did was go through installing complete windows to create a partition again because the hard drive had the partitiones messed up lol so when i finished the installation of windows i when back to using restore dvd and it finally recognized the hard drive and just restores my baby back to its original state, i didn't use bootcamp again lol don't need windows anyway

i have opened up my eyes to a new world that new world is Mac
QUOTE Thanks
CluelessJulia

CluelessJulia is on a distinguished road

I have same problem now(((
i tried to install windows xp.. and it seems like i deleted mac os as well..
i tried to reinstall mac os.. but it doesnt show and recognise the internal hard drive...
u were talking about Ubuntu, but i have no idea what it is.. and how i can use it..

thanks a lot in advance.
julia
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Entourage (and other MS Office apps) crash, crash, crash | finder > services menu »