New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - How to make a custom file icon the default?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Nor Cal Nomad

Nor Cal Nomad is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2008 MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4GHz 4GB, 19in Viewsonic LCD, Mac Alum keyboard, Razer Diamondback 3G

I have some file icons that I would like to make the default for all my files but I really have no idea where to start about going and doing it. I know how to change a folder at a time but...that's way too slow for all my regular folders.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

You can use a freebie called LiteIcon to change out many system icons, like folders, toolbar items, the Finder icon, and much more. Then there's CandyBar, which is a bit more robust and can store your icons in a library, similar to iPhoto.

For specific file types, those icons are usually controlled by the default application that opens them. To change those, you'd have to actually swap out the icon file inside the app's package to change the icon of the files they support.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Nor Cal Nomad

Nor Cal Nomad is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2008 MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4GHz 4GB, 19in Viewsonic LCD, Mac Alum keyboard, Razer Diamondback 3G

So are these like background apps or just things that would be changing code? Just wondering.

and thank you btw
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Nope... not background apps, and technically they aren't actually modifying actual code. They actually swap out the icon file embedded in the system files. Not to worry... Candybar at least will only work with versions of OS X that it has been certified to work with, including point updates, and keeps a backup handy. I'm sure LiteIcon does as well. It's very safe.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dock Rollover effect | "connection failed" when connecting to xp via network »