New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Recovering Files..

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

corvette36

corvette36 is on a distinguished road

So to make a long story short, i didn't backup my files and ended up getting the white screen of death (what i've heard it called). So i installed the OS to an external hard drive in hopes of trying to get back my pictures and other files. Right now i can see the old mac HD and am in the process of copying over files. The only problem is that once i open a folder with a file that can't be read, finder will quit and i will have to re-navigate to the files i am trying to copy over only to have it quit again and again. Is there any way i can get around this so that i can get the readable files?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
karudzo

karudzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM

Try this instead, from the booted up OS X:
1. Open Terminal (Apps/Utility)
2. Type rsync -ave --ignore-errors /Volumes/BADDRIVE/Users/YOURUSERNAME/ /Users/YOURUSERNAMEONNEWDRIVE
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Troubleshooting tip... | Leopard's Kernel Panic = Crash (in Windows) »