New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Use Finder Column View as default view

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shahvikram123

shahvikram123 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2GHZ Intel C2D, 2 Gig Ram, 80 GB HD. Mac Mini: Intel C2D 2GHZ, 2 gig ram, 120gb HD

Is it possible to set the column view as the default view for finder (all folders). When I choose icon or list view and open view options it's possible to set them as the default view, but there's no button to set column view as the default view?

Am i missing something here…???

Vikram Shah
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

its in finder menu at the top

Finder . Preferences > general tab
QUOTE Thanks
everkleer

everkleer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
its in finder menu at the top

Finder . Preferences > general tab
I don't see any such option in the finder preferences
QUOTE Thanks
Nevermore

Nevermore is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4GHz 320GB 4GB Ram ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory

Me either. Would love to have this as the default for all Finder. I am in the middle of reading all Finder column posts so may stumble upon the answer to the other question I have which is, is it possible to set the default so that the columns always arrange themselves so that the full title of the folder or file is visible? I know I can do that on an ad hoc basis by clicking the little icon at the bottom of the column but I would like it to happen automatically every time.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

sorry, I am still using Tiger, in Leoprad they have moved it to the View options button in the finder itself

http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/10/31...eopard-finder/
QUOTE Thanks
Nevermore

Nevermore is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4GHz 320GB 4GB Ram ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory

I am not exactly sure what I did that made it work because I thought that the view options worked on a folder by folder basis. But it seems to have worked. Very strange. I open a folder and it opens in column view but when I look at the view options, the box at the top that says "always open in column view" is unchecked. This means that the system default is working, of course, but one would think that the box would be checked, allowing user to uncheck it so that any given folder would not open in column view. Sorry, this must sound quite rambling, but this is as clear as mud to me.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Menubar Crashing on Startup | Upgrading 10.3.9 »