New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Making A Link-Shortcut-Alias On Desktop


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
gunnerjoe

 
gunnerjoe's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 24, 2004
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 75
gunnerjoe is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" Quad i7, MacMini Quad i7 , 16gb ram on both. IPad 4th Gen. IPhone 4S

gunnerjoe is offline
HI ALL,

This maybe a newbie question, but can't figure it out.

On Linux or Windows you would right click the desktop and make a shortcut or link to application and that would be that.

On OS-X I find myself perplexed by this seemingly easy task.

I want to create a Shortcut (aka Alias) on the desktop to GIMP program which runs under X11. GIMP program resides in /sw/bin/gimp and I can launch it from the terminal command line or add it to X11 menu and launch it from there, but what I really want is a icon on my desktop. Now if the program resides in the Application folder I could make an Alias of it, but the GIMP program does not appear there.

So, any ideas of how to do this?

Thanks,

Joe :doctor:
QUOTE Thanks
James

 
James's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 27, 2004
Location: Pocola, Oklahoma
Posts: 808
James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

James is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerjoe
HI ALL,

This maybe a newbie question, but can't figure it out.

On Linux or Windows you would right click the desktop and make a shortcut or link to application and that would be that.

On OS-X I find myself perplexed by this seemingly easy task.

I want to create a Shortcut (aka Alias) on the desktop to GIMP program which runs under X11. GIMP program resides in /sw/bin/gimp andI can launch it from the terminal command line or add it to X11 menu and launch it from there, but what I really want is a icon on my desktop. Now if the program resides in the Application folder I could make an Alias of it, but the GIMP program does not appear there.

So, any ideas of how to do this?

Thanks,

Joe :doctor:
When you go to "Programs" and click on Gimp doesn't it put the Gimp icon on your "launch bar" on your desktop? If so, simply right click on the Gimp icon and tell it to "stay" that way it will be on your desktop all the time and when you click on it, it will automaticly start X11 too.
QUOTE Thanks
gunnerjoe

 
gunnerjoe's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 24, 2004
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 75
gunnerjoe is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" Quad i7, MacMini Quad i7 , 16gb ram on both. IPad 4th Gen. IPhone 4S

gunnerjoe is offline
No it does not show up as an icon in the Dock, maybe because it is an X11 app, I don't know. I know what you are referring to though, "Keep in Dock" on a right click on the icon of a running program.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Joe




Quote:
Originally Posted by James
When you go to "Programs" and click on Gimp doesn't it put the Gimp icon on your "launch bar" on your desktop? If so, simply right click on the Gimp icon and tell it to "stay" that way it will be on your desktop all the time and when you click on it, it will automaticly start X11 too.
QUOTE Thanks
johnnyluu

 
johnnyluu's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 11, 2003
Location: London
Posts: 228
johnnyluu will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook

johnnyluu is offline
Sorry, this is a bit ranom and just an assumption. I don't really know anything and could be totally wrong, but cant you run terminal commands with an applescript? Just create a script that does the terminal command for running Gimp and then launch it from the script menu using the newly created applescript. Possibly.

I say, "Unless it causes death, it's not a problem!".
http://johnny.persistentperil.net
QUOTE Thanks
James

 
James's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 27, 2004
Location: Pocola, Oklahoma
Posts: 808
James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

James is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerjoe
No it does not show up as an icon in the Dock, maybe because it is an X11 app, I don't know. I know what you are referring to though, "Keep in Dock" on a right click on the icon of a running program.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Joe
Hmmmm... what version of OS X are you using? Try dragging the Gimp icon itself to the dock and if it works then use the Keep in dock function. Other than that I don't know what would work.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

 
Macman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 30, 2004
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 4,374
Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

Macman is offline
hold down control, click the gimp app, select make alias, then drag it to the desktop, or take it from the apps folder and drop it on the dock.
QUOTE Thanks
gunnerjoe

 
gunnerjoe's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 24, 2004
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 75
gunnerjoe is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" Quad i7, MacMini Quad i7 , 16gb ram on both. IPad 4th Gen. IPhone 4S

gunnerjoe is offline
In finder I went to /sw/bin directory and tried to launch GIMP from there, it was asking what application to use to open GIMP, so once I figured out to point it to the application X11, it would continue to launch. Next I could copy GIMP from /sw/bin to the desktop, but I didn't see a way to just do an ALIAS. While I can now launch GIMP from the icon on my desktop, this seems like a round about way of doing something that should be so simple.

Any Ideas Greatly Appreciated!

Thanks

Joe
QUOTE Thanks
gunnerjoe

 
gunnerjoe's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 24, 2004
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 75
gunnerjoe is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" Quad i7, MacMini Quad i7 , 16gb ram on both. IPad 4th Gen. IPhone 4S

gunnerjoe is offline
There is no make Alias when ctrl clicking GIMP, there is a copy, See my other post on that. Maybe no Alias because it it isn't seen as a Apple program... just a thought.

Thanks,

Joe



Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
hold down control, click the gimp app, select make alias, then drag it to the desktop, or take it from the apps folder and drop it on the dock.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

 
Member Since: Mar 30, 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 4,744
technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

technologist is offline
There is a binary executable (.app) version of the Gimp for OS X. It's the first link on http://gimp.org/macintosh/
You can put this .app in your Applications folder, and it'll work like any proper Macintosh application. (Though it still requires X11.)

You can also make an alias by holding down Command+Option (your pointer should have a curly arrow) and dragging to the Desktop.
QUOTE Thanks
gunnerjoe

 
gunnerjoe's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 24, 2004
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 75
gunnerjoe is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" Quad i7, MacMini Quad i7 , 16gb ram on both. IPad 4th Gen. IPhone 4S

gunnerjoe is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist
There is a binary executable (.app) version of the Gimp for OS X. It's the first link on http://gimp.org/macintosh/
You can put this .app in your Applications folder, and it'll work like any proper Macintosh application. (Though it still requires X11.)

You can also make an alias by holding down Command+Option (your pointer should have a curly arrow) and dragging to the Desktop.
That's one way to do it :confused:
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

 
Murlyn's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 11, 2003
Location: Mount Vernon, WA
Posts: 4,909
Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Murlyn is offline
I believe the reason you are having these problems is because it's not a carbon/cocoa app thus the problems you are having. Now one way you can do it is by typing something like this in the terminal:

Code:
ln -s /sw/bin/gimp ~/Desktop/Gimp
That creates a symbolic link, which is more of a linux thing then a GUI Mac thing
QUOTE Thanks
gunnerjoe

 
gunnerjoe's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 24, 2004
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 75
gunnerjoe is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" Quad i7, MacMini Quad i7 , 16gb ram on both. IPad 4th Gen. IPhone 4S

gunnerjoe is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlyn
I believe the reason you are having these problems is because it's not a carbon/cocoa app thus the problems you are having. Now one way you can do it is by typing something like this in the terminal:

Code:
ln -s /sw/bin/gimp ~/Desktop/Gimp
That creates a symbolic link, which is more of a linux thing then a GUI Mac thing
That's one way to skin that cat.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
guerom00
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Hi there,

You can also rename your application appending the suffix .x11app to tell OSX that it is a X11 application (in a Terminal) :

$ cd /sw/bin/
$ mv gimp gimp.x11app

After that, a double click will lauch directly Gimp
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

 
shaun89's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 10, 2004
Posts: 1,072
shaun89 will become famous soon enough

shaun89 is offline
All that to get a shortcut?
QUOTE Thanks
gunnerjoe

 
gunnerjoe's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 24, 2004
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 75
gunnerjoe is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" Quad i7, MacMini Quad i7 , 16gb ram on both. IPad 4th Gen. IPhone 4S

gunnerjoe is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerom00
Hi there,

You can also rename your application appending the suffix .x11app to tell OSX that it is a X11 application (in a Terminal) :

$ cd /sw/bin/
$ mv gimp gimp.x11app

After that, a double click will lauch directly Gimp
That's a nice trick. I can then do click ctrl-command and make the dang shortcut of the gimp.x11app to the desktop.

Boy that was easy :confused:

Thanks,

Joe
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« turning off window managers | Passwords »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Remote Desktop Sharing on Panther. How? MoltenLava OS X - Operating System 6 01-29-2005 01:46 PM
BUG?? Desktop wallpaper & Screen Saver scoopz OS X - Operating System 3 09-19-2004 03:15 PM
Apple updates Remote Desktop schweb Apple Rumors and Reports 1 04-02-2003 11:38 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?