New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Trouble moving a large amount of files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

terrapin

terrapin is on a distinguished road

Hi guys, I wasn't sure whether to put this in the music forum or this one or another one completely. I have all of my music on an external drive, and unfortunately I've let that become very disorganized. All of my music is imported/tagged in iTunes, and I'm trying to select all of my music (about 78 gigs or so) in iTunes and drag it from there into a completely new folder on my external drive. However, each time I do this, the little red bubble that says "+11484" or whatever eventually floats back to iTunes, Finder freezes for 5 minutes or so, and then nothing happens at all. I have no trouble moving one song or even a hundred songs at a time, but that would still take much more time than I'd like. How can I fix this problem?

Thank you in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

My advice with that large a move is to do it in terminal. I'm heading off to a meeting though, so if that's a concern I can help with that later.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
terrapin

Alright, thanks! If you or anyone else can help me to do it in Terminal, I'd really appreciate it. I don't know much about that.

Would Terminal be able to do that, even if I'm trying to move something from an iTunes playlist into one folder? I have to move it from iTunes because that's the only place where it's organized, otherwise everything's scattered around.
QUOTE Thanks
terrapin

I still can't figure this out guys! And I've got no idea how to go about it in Terminal. Any point in the right direction would be good! Thanks a lot!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Can you even move them using itunes? I haven't tried yet. Anyone?

mike
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Man mv. Probably something like: mv -i sourcepath destinationpath
NOTE: this will delete the original after the copy.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

right, but reading the original post he's using iTunes.. which sorts by metadata. I don't think you can move things from iTunes to a Finder window.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Why don't you just set it so that iTunes will organize your music folder? That way everything will be nicely organized into corresponding folders, which you can then easily copy/move to another location.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
terrapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
right, but reading the original post he's using iTunes.. which sorts by metadata. I don't think you can move things from iTunes to a Finder window.

I don't have any problem moving one or several files from iTunes to a Finder window, but moving more than a few hundred at a time hasn't worked. It worked on my PC once, but the PC is too slow for me to want to try it again.

How would I set iTunes to organize everything? Here's the way I have it set up:

I've got iTunes on the Mac which has a ton of music of my dad's, my sister's, and mine. One day (when I bought my iPod classic) I dragged my entire library from iTunes on my PC into one folder on my external drive so that I could add it to my dad's iTunes library so that I could sync it, since my PC doesn't seem to like that. I made a separate playlist which contains all of my music on the external drive. The external drive is totally messy, unfortunately, because I've gotten a lot more music since adding all of it to that one folder, and I didn't do it in an organized way. How might I be able to tell iTunes to organize everything by folder without messing things up?

Sorry for the huge post :S Thanks again guys!
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

It was my understanding he wanted to move them from one folder to another on his external drive. mv will do that. If he also wants to sort them while he moves them, maybe using grep in a pipe after the mv? Or before the mv?
Maybe even a Python or Perl script could do it. Not an expert on this but I think there is a limit on how many files Finder can handle at one time. Probably why it chokes when he tries to move them.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« System locking up... | OS X Server and Airport »