New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - iMac G5 New Hard Drive, No Discs - Best Options? Ideas?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacJohn

MacJohn is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5/17"/1.8/512MB/Combo and Mac Mini/1.83 Core 2 Duo/Superdrive

Hi! I'm hoping someone can help me with this --- I have a used iMac G5 that came without the original discs.

The hard drive failed, so I got a replacement, formatted drive, but now I need OS X discs --- I've seen several different options, but I'm looking for the most economical option (saving $ for other upgrades ).

- I thought I could just order replacement "original" discs from Apple, but when I called them, they said they no longer have discs for my iMac G5.

- If I buy "Media Only" OS X discs online, do I qualify for a license, since I'm the owner of the iMac (and if so, how do I get one)?

- If neither of these is viable, what's my best option (bite the bullet and get full retail Tiger/Leopard, get another version and upgrade, etc.)?

Thank you in advance for your time!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

You will need a retail copy of Tiger or Leopard to install, you could try ebay

Do not buy grey coloured disks, they are system specific and will likelly not owrk on your G5
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Bring back the London bus!
QUOTE Thanks
onetheless

onetheless is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro

Not to jack your thread, but I'm kind of in the same position. Just recently put a hard drive in a busted iMac G5 and I was curious what operating system I'm better off installing on this. I also do not have the install discs, so I'm curious what will be more worth my money to install on this system?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Leopard Discs on eBay | Problem viewing Chinese unicode fonts »