New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Installing Netscape Browser

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dabrowski

We just installed OS X over OS 9 and we're trying to get Firefox and Netscape browsers. Firefox didn't work, and when we tried with Netscape, same problem.

The compressed file downloaded, we double-clicked it, and it expanded it to Netscape-MachO.dmg. But when we click that, it can't find the application to run it with, and we're not sure what to do.

Thanks in advance for any help.

PowerMacG4.

Dabrowski
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

dmgs are mounted using disk image mounter and disk copy, disk image mounter is in this folder path:
Macintosh HD>system>Library>core services>disk image mounter.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

why are you trying to use firefox or netscape when safari is far superior and already installed?
QUOTE Thanks
Dabrowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
why are you trying to use firefox or netscape when safari is far superior and already installed?
That's a good question. How do you get to Safari? I couldn't find anything off the bat, and a Sherlock search only found two files in a safari theme folder for Microsoft Office.
QUOTE Thanks
Dabrowski

Quote:
dmgs are mounted using disk image mounter and disk copy, disk image mounter is in this folder path:
Macintosh HD>system>Library>core services>disk image mounter.
That may be the problem. I don't have a Disk Image Mounter in that folder.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

disk image mounter should be there, what os are you runing? safari is in the applications folder, in mac hd, not applications mac os 9, and are you sure you looked in the folder named System with an X on it?
QUOTE Thanks
Dabrowski

Quote:
disk image mounter should be there, what os are you runing? safari is in the applications folder, in mac hd, not applications mac os 9, and are you sure you looked in the folder named System with an X on it?
we are using os 10.0.3. we were using 9.2 when we got it. recently switched to using os 10 version. I cannot find the files you were talking about. If you have any other ideas let me know.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

safari was not available before mac os 10.2, are you sure youre in 10.0.3, if so, you probably downloaded the wrong versions of netscape and firefox, actually, I dont think
theres a 10.0.x compatible version of firefox either, and a version of netscape for mac os 10.0.x is gonna be a little tough to find, Id try versiontracker.com if I was you.
QUOTE Thanks
Dabrowski

Shouldn't the ability to install software (from my understanding, the disk image mounter) be there anyway? Shouldn't I deal with that first? Or does it only appear when the software I want to intall is correct?

Quote:
safari was not available before mac os 10.2, are you sure youre in 10.0.3, if so, you probably downloaded the wrong versions of netscape and firefox, actually, I dont think
theres a 10.0.x compatible version of firefox either, and a version of netscape for mac os 10.0.x is gonna be a little tough to find, Id try versiontracker.com if I was you.
QUOTE Thanks
Dabrowski

Is there anyone out there who is using OS 10.0.2 and an alternative to Internet Explorer? If so, let me know what you have.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

It should be there, but if its not, did you do an erase and install of os x, or just upgrade install? I think maybe that prior to os 10.2, disk copy was used to ,mount disk images, Ill have to look it up.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

as far as compatible browsers, you might try opera, or go to versiontracker.com and look under browsers and use their pop up bar thing to select a version compatible with your os.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HELP - 10.3.7 froze my mac | Installing Fonts »