Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Dabrowski
    Guest
    Installing Netscape Browser
    We just installed OS X over OS 9 and we're trying to get Firefox and Netscape browsers. Firefox didn't work, and when we tried with Netscape, same problem.

    The compressed file downloaded, we double-clicked it, and it expanded it to Netscape-MachO.dmg. But when we click that, it can't find the application to run it with, and we're not sure what to do.

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    PowerMacG4.

    Dabrowski

  2. #2

    Macman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 30, 2004
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,374
    Specs:
    PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
    dmgs are mounted using disk image mounter and disk copy, disk image mounter is in this folder path:
    Macintosh HD>system>Library>core services>disk image mounter.

  3. #3

    Macman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 30, 2004
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,374
    Specs:
    PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
    why are you trying to use firefox or netscape when safari is far superior and already installed?

  4. #4
    Dabrowski
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Macman
    why are you trying to use firefox or netscape when safari is far superior and already installed?
    That's a good question. How do you get to Safari? I couldn't find anything off the bat, and a Sherlock search only found two files in a safari theme folder for Microsoft Office.

  5. #5
    Dabrowski
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Macman
    dmgs are mounted using disk image mounter and disk copy, disk image mounter is in this folder path:
    Macintosh HD>system>Library>core services>disk image mounter.
    That may be the problem. I don't have a Disk Image Mounter in that folder.

  6. #6

    Macman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 30, 2004
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,374
    Specs:
    PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
    disk image mounter should be there, what os are you runing? safari is in the applications folder, in mac hd, not applications mac os 9, and are you sure you looked in the folder named System with an X on it?

  7. #7
    Dabrowski
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Macman
    disk image mounter should be there, what os are you runing? safari is in the applications folder, in mac hd, not applications mac os 9, and are you sure you looked in the folder named System with an X on it?
    we are using os 10.0.3. we were using 9.2 when we got it. recently switched to using os 10 version. I cannot find the files you were talking about. If you have any other ideas let me know.

  8. #8

    Macman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 30, 2004
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,374
    Specs:
    PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
    safari was not available before mac os 10.2, are you sure youre in 10.0.3, if so, you probably downloaded the wrong versions of netscape and firefox, actually, I dont think
    theres a 10.0.x compatible version of firefox either, and a version of netscape for mac os 10.0.x is gonna be a little tough to find, Id try versiontracker.com if I was you.

  9. #9
    Dabrowski
    Guest
    Shouldn't the ability to install software (from my understanding, the disk image mounter) be there anyway? Shouldn't I deal with that first? Or does it only appear when the software I want to intall is correct?



    Quote Originally Posted by Macman
    safari was not available before mac os 10.2, are you sure youre in 10.0.3, if so, you probably downloaded the wrong versions of netscape and firefox, actually, I dont think
    theres a 10.0.x compatible version of firefox either, and a version of netscape for mac os 10.0.x is gonna be a little tough to find, Id try versiontracker.com if I was you.

  10. #10
    Dabrowski
    Guest
    Is there anyone out there who is using OS 10.0.2 and an alternative to Internet Explorer? If so, let me know what you have.

  11. #11

    Macman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 30, 2004
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,374
    Specs:
    PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
    It should be there, but if its not, did you do an erase and install of os x, or just upgrade install? I think maybe that prior to os 10.2, disk copy was used to ,mount disk images, Ill have to look it up.

  12. #12

    Macman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 30, 2004
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,374
    Specs:
    PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
    as far as compatible browsers, you might try opera, or go to versiontracker.com and look under browsers and use their pop up bar thing to select a version compatible with your os.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. mac os 9.2.2 with netscape 6
    By jamie in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-27-2006, 11:08 PM
  2. Netscape problem
    By Jerry Norton in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-22-2006, 11:04 AM
  3. Netscape Error
    By evilmauro in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-21-2005, 07:12 PM
  4. Netscape 7
    By quackal in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-01-2004, 05:29 PM
  5. Netscape
    By macgfxs in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-09-2004, 01:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •