New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Problem re-installing OS X, Pls Help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

billitone

Hi all,

So after updating to 10.3.7, I encountered loooong start up times after restarting, sluggish performance and even freezing dock, very hot PB (comes from HD) and finally forced shut down my 12" 867MHz and then got kernel panic upon restarting.:mac:

I decided to boot up from OSX installer CD to open up disk utility as I don't have DiskWarrior, guess what? It could not verify or repair my HD (error upon quit). So then I decided to reinstall everything, but then the HD was not mounted and could not be mounted.:p

Anyone have a clue what's going on with my PB? :doctor:
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

did you repair permissions after the update? have you recently installed any new hardware or software? have you tried holding down shift while starting up? or option while starting up?
QUOTE Thanks
billitone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
did you repair permissions after the update? have you recently installed any new hardware or software? have you tried holding down shift while starting up? or option while starting up?
I did repair permissions after update as usual, did not instal any new hardware but did try to install nikon capture but to no avail as it did not complete (i forced quit due to long inactivity).

I also tried holding down shift while starting up, did even reset PRAM, but not tried pressing option during start up.

If only the installer can identify my HD then it should be ok, because I can just reinstall everything, but seems like the HD is gone or something....
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

I have a feeling that nikon capture caused the problem, most likely a bad extension conflict. if you have another mac avaiable, use target diskmode or firewire disk mode and with your ibook mounted, go into it and delete anything involved with the nikon capture.
why were you installing that anyway? iphoto is good, and image capture is really good too if you dont like iphoto.
QUOTE Thanks
billitone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
I have a feeling that nikon capture caused the problem, most likely a bad extension conflict. if you have another mac avaiable, use target diskmode or firewire disk mode and with your ibook mounted, go into it and delete anything involved with the nikon capture.
why were you installing that anyway? iphoto is good, and image capture is really good too if you dont like iphoto.
Thanks Vincent for your replies...much appreciated.
I am using a trial copy of nikon capture as I have Nikon D70, that's why.

Ups...my bad. I think I pressed "erase" in the disk utility, so now everything is gone but hey....still no HD detected by the installer? how come? Does "erase" create new empty drive? neye:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Deleting files from "Macintosh HD" in finder. | Dreamweaver problem after osx reinstall »