New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

This Internet Problem Has Plagued Me Before!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ofidian

I am experiencing a major Internet problem that seems to occur a lot. Occasionally, none of my browsers will be able to load any random page (for example, Nintendo) despite repeated tries. This appears.

Safari Can't Find The Server.

Safari can’t open the page “http://www.nintendo.com/community” because it can’t find the server “www.nintendo.com”.

or, in Internet Explorer,

Server Not Found.

How might I alleviate this situation? Just for good looks, :radioacti .
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I tried both links you have provided and I get an error on both. After putting in the links by hand they work (www.nintendo.com and www.nintendo.com/community).

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

What version of the OS are you running?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

If you try the accessing the web site two time in a row, are you able to access the site. If so you might try updating your system to OS 10.3.7. I have read that 10.3.7 resolve some dns problems. Just to ensure you have a good install I would use the Mac OS X Combined Update 10.3.7 (97mb).

QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

shaun89 will become famous soon enough

If you didn't notice, when you quote the sites, the last quotation mark attatches to the URL. When you take it out they work.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I agree with rman, if you're not already running 10.3.7 it should most likely fix your problem.

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
code777

yeah 10.3.7 *seemed* to have fixed the Safari issue - i haven't had a "can't find network" since but...
QUOTE Thanks
Ofidian

I have Dial-up Internet service. All these downloads are huge and when I try to download them, my Download Window states that I will have to wait months online to finish.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, you'll need the 10.3.7 update to fix your problem. If you have a friend with broadband, they may be able to download the update for you and burn it to a cd.

QUOTE Thanks
Ofidian

I have Mac OS X 10.3.3. Can I still download the Mac OS X 10.3.7 file? Also, do I need the Combined Update or just the regular, 26 MB update.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

You'll need the combined update since you haven't updated in awhile.

QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Yes you can:

The combined update can cause less problems in some cases - but normally the regular update package should work.

But even then it will take a good few hours!

I'd recommend going to a coffee shop (if you have a airport card) and downloading it there - lots of coffee shops offer free or cheap wireless broadband access...
QUOTE Thanks
Ofidian

Problem: I have a 50-lb. eMac. Can't exactly go to a coffee shop without a luggage cart.

What specific component of the Combined is necessary? What makes it different from the Basic?
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofidian
Problem: I have a 50-lb. eMac. Can't exactly go to a coffee shop without a luggage cart.

What specific component of the Combined is necessary? What makes it different from the Basic?
The first iMac at least had a handle to take it for a walk... :cool:

The combined update package actually contains all changes that were made since the original Panther release, 10.3.
The normal update updates only those files that have changed, that's why it's a lot smaller (for 10.3.7, I think it was 12MB, opposed to 97MB for the Combo).
As the combined update is more complete, it might repair any files that do not exactly work as they should anymore. That's why the combined update is the better choice, but it's not really a must.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

I always use the combo update to reduce problems. Like Avalon said you don't have too. For me it give me that warm and fuzzy feeling, because I know that I did not miss anything. lol

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help! Kernel Panic | Most Mac friendly PDA? »