New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - itunes exclamation marks ! - please help!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ggallin

ggallin is on a distinguished road

There may be similar stories out there, but none quite the same as mine. Basically, I changed the location of my itunes music to my new hard-drive by clicking Preferences; changing location to external and opening a new folder called MUZAK. I okayed that and consolidated the itunes. THEN, exclamation marks appeared all over the place! WHY?!! I thought I did everything right. Now, when I click on them, it can't find the file, although it did for some of them and then made a copy of it. Where can I find the rest? What I've I re-directed itunes to where it was previously? Please, please help - I've got 7,000 tunes missing!
QUOTE Thanks
skybolt

skybolt has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: White 2010 MB, Core 2 Duo, 8g RAM, iPhone 4S, iPad Mini, Apple TV

Here's the way Apple says to do it: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1449. I suspect you neglected the "consolidate" instructions.

Mary
QUOTE Thanks
ggallin

Thanks for the response! However, I did consolidate the itunes. If I consolidate again, will it work?
QUOTE Thanks
skybolt

Perhaps the renaming of your library is the culprit. Do you have your MUZAK folder in an iTunes library folder? Perhaps within iTunes, when you selected your new folder, you did not drill down far enough to get the right library selected? Without knowing exactly what your folder setup is, it is hard to determine what is causing your problem.

Mary
QUOTE Thanks
ggallin

Thanks! Are you able to tell me WHERE, within itunes I should have created a folder?
QUOTE Thanks
ggallin

Maybe I should add that my Library was as it originally should have been when I created the new folder ie. I didn't change anything regarding itunes.
QUOTE Thanks
skybolt

I'm not at the mac right now, so doing this from memory -- in your users directory, you should have a folder called Music. Within that, should be iTunes. That is where your music should live. If you want the MUZAK folder, it should be in that iTunes folder. When you tell iTunes where to look, you have to go all the way to the MUZAK folder, not just iTunes. Does that clear anything up?

Mary
QUOTE Thanks
ggallin

Thanks Mary, will try that tonight!
QUOTE Thanks
SimionG

SimionG is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook SR 2.2GHz|4Gb|120Gb|SD|AP|BT|10.5.4;iMac G5 2.0GHz|1.5Gb|160Gb|SD|AP|BT|10.4.11

You may have deleted some song from your library folder and iTunes still have the "shortcut" to the song in the playlist.

iMac G5 2.0GHz|1.5Gb|160Gb|SD|AP|BT|10.4.11
MacBook SR 2.2GHz|4Gb|120Gb|SD|AP|BT|10.5.4
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« duplicating a user account in 10.5.2 ? | Mac OS X Clock Display, Lags »