New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

CoRe ImAgE / ViDeO

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shaun89

shaun89 will become famous soon enough

Hey everyone. I'm really excited to buy a mac for when 10.4 is released. I really want to use the Fun House app for editing images and videos for the new Core Image and Core Video. It looks so COOL! I heard it required atleast 64MB video ram to run. Does it? If it does, then would it still run under 32MB Vram but just be visibly slower?

Your replies are greatly appriciated!
Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

From what I've heard, in order to use Core Image to its *full* extent, you need a 64MB graphics card. However, Core Image scales down appropriately for less-capable graphics cards (and falls back on the CPU for the rest of its needs.)

I think.
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

So if the GPU is lacking performance, then it relies on the CPU? You think if you only had 32MB Core Video wouldn't be avaliabe?
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun89
So if the GPU is lacking performance, then it relies on the CPU? You think if you only had 32MB Core Video wouldn't be avaliabe?
I think (hope?) that Core Image/Video have the same graphics requirements... so if you have a 32MB GPU, both Core Image and Core Video would use what they could out of the GPU and rely on the CPU for the remaining processing needs. (If anyone would like to double check that, I would appreciate it because I'm a bit unsure myself.)

Core Image/Video are very cool - but Apple wouldn't stoop to the level of Microsuck and screw over those people who have less-than-modern computers.... (knock on wood)

EDIT: Core Image and Core Video are actually keeping me from buying a Mac right now... I originally settled on an iBook G4, but since it's not *fully* compatible with CI/CV I might have to spend a ton more on a 12" PowerBook...
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

Yeah. Good point! I was also a little shooken up on getting an iBook because of the Vram. But i'll wait till january till the enw powerbooks with 64MB. Do you know of any write up's on the net that talk about core image/video? I'm going to search it right now.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

I found this on the Apple home page. It's the list of graphic cards compatible with CoreImage/CoreVideo...

Supported graphics cards:

ATI Radeon 9800 XT
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
ATI Radeon 9600 XT
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
ATI Mobility Radeon 9600
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra
NVIDIA GeForceFX Go 5200
NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 Ultra

So the issue is not only the memory, but also the type of graphic card you have...unfortunately, this list shows that this great feature is mostly supported by new Apple hardware ONLY. My not-to-old G4 came with an ATI 9000 Pro (64MB), and unfortunately is not compatible...nice work, Apple!! :mad:
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun89
Yeah. Good point! I was also a little shooken up on getting an iBook because of the Vram. But i'll wait till january till the enw powerbooks with 64MB. Do you know of any write up's on the net that talk about core image/video? I'm going to search it right now.
If the new PowerBooks are going to be cheaper (example: PB 12" w/ Combo Drive - 1,399 USD, as opposed to 1,599 now) then I will most definitely buy one. Otherwise, I'm going to bite the proverbial bullet and get an iBook (or, wait until I can find a used/refurbished PB.)

January better get here faster so I can stop drooling and wishing... :confused:
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

So i guess just the iBooks and eMacs dont work. (although i don't think many people care about the eMacs). It kinda blows. I guess it's G5 all the way!
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
I found this on the Apple home page. It's the list of graphic cards compatible with CoreImage/CoreVideo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon

Supported graphics cards:

ATI Radeon 9800 XT
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
ATI Radeon 9600 XT
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
ATI Mobility Radeon 9600
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra
NVIDIA GeForceFX Go 5200
NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 Ultra

So the issue is not only the memory, but also the type of graphic card you have...unfortunately, this list shows that this great feature is mostly supported by new Apple hardware ONLY. My not-to-old G4 came with an ATI 9000 Pro (64MB), and unfortunately is not compatible...nice work, Apple!! :mad:

Hey! I just realized something. Maybe yours graphics card will work... Maybe they just posted those ones because they only make those ones now. So anything before with something greater than or equal to 64MB will work. They probably just wanna make you buy their new equipment. Just a guess though.
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

Core Image and Video will work on any OS X machine.

But, if you don't have one of the graphics cards listed as compatible, your Mac's CPU will do most of the work.

If you're going to be doing graphics intensive work - then a compatible graphics card is probably best since it will be more efficent at handling what Core Image has to offer (Photoshop, and FCP addicts... I'm looking in your general direction...)

Alas, some of the features that are required by the compatible graphics cards WON'T be available, but that's the way the dice roll. Most of the features probably won't even be used by (low) end users (people who buy iBooks and eMacs,) and thus Apple didn't choose to support them. Plus, making the iBook and eMac compatible with Core Image would cut into the sales of PowerBooks and iMacs, where "the real money is."

EDIT: DISCLAIMER: I don't even own a Mac (yet,) and I'm just using my best guess on how CI/CV work.

But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :p
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltbanana314
If you're going to be doing graphics intensive work - then a compatible graphics card is probably best since it will be more efficent at handling what Core Image has to offer (Photoshop, and FCP addicts... I'm looking in your general direction...)
ahh, dont look at me that way!
my cube has the aty rage 128 pro.
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
ahh, dont look at me that way!
my cube has the aty rage 128 pro
Maybe when new versions of Final Cut Pro, Shake, Maya, Photoshop, and 'insert favourite program here' (*cough* BLENDER *cough*) are released they can take advantage of CI/CV's features? :mac:

Wait a minute... aren't Tiger users under a NDA?
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

o c***! some mod/admin please delete my post.no, Ill just edit it.
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

****, I should have got a screenshot of that. Good blackmail material.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

but I see it didnt delete what I posted in your quote of me.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« TURN OFF password for screen saver | Can't create new accounts on G5 »