Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1
    CoRe ImAgE / ViDeO
    shaun89's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 09, 2004
    Posts
    1,072
    CoRe ImAgE / ViDeO
    Hey everyone. I'm really excited to buy a mac for when 10.4 is released. I really want to use the Fun House app for editing images and videos for the new Core Image and Core Video. It looks so COOL! I heard it required atleast 64MB video ram to run. Does it? If it does, then would it still run under 32MB Vram but just be visibly slower?

    Your replies are greatly appriciated!
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    meltbanana314
    Guest
    From what I've heard, in order to use Core Image to its *full* extent, you need a 64MB graphics card. However, Core Image scales down appropriately for less-capable graphics cards (and falls back on the CPU for the rest of its needs.)

    I think.

  3. #3
    CoRe ImAgE / ViDeO
    shaun89's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 09, 2004
    Posts
    1,072
    So if the GPU is lacking performance, then it relies on the CPU? You think if you only had 32MB Core Video wouldn't be avaliabe?

  4. #4
    meltbanana314
    Guest
    Core Image/Video
    Quote Originally Posted by shaun89
    So if the GPU is lacking performance, then it relies on the CPU? You think if you only had 32MB Core Video wouldn't be avaliabe?
    I think (hope?) that Core Image/Video have the same graphics requirements... so if you have a 32MB GPU, both Core Image and Core Video would use what they could out of the GPU and rely on the CPU for the remaining processing needs. (If anyone would like to double check that, I would appreciate it because I'm a bit unsure myself.)

    Core Image/Video are very cool - but Apple wouldn't stoop to the level of Microsuck and screw over those people who have less-than-modern computers.... (knock on wood)

    EDIT: Core Image and Core Video are actually keeping me from buying a Mac right now... I originally settled on an iBook G4, but since it's not *fully* compatible with CI/CV I might have to spend a ton more on a 12" PowerBook...

  5. #5
    CoRe ImAgE / ViDeO
    shaun89's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 09, 2004
    Posts
    1,072
    Yeah. Good point! I was also a little shooken up on getting an iBook because of the Vram. But i'll wait till january till the enw powerbooks with 64MB. Do you know of any write up's on the net that talk about core image/video? I'm going to search it right now.

  6. #6
    CoRe ImAgE / ViDeO
    Avalon's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 25, 2004
    Location
    Luxemburg, Europe
    Posts
    1,779
    Specs:
    PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
    I found this on the Apple home page. It's the list of graphic cards compatible with CoreImage/CoreVideo...

    Supported graphics cards:

    ATI Radeon 9800 XT
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
    ATI Radeon 9600 XT
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9600
    NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra
    NVIDIA GeForceFX Go 5200
    NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 Ultra

    So the issue is not only the memory, but also the type of graphic card you have...unfortunately, this list shows that this great feature is mostly supported by new Apple hardware ONLY. My not-to-old G4 came with an ATI 9000 Pro (64MB), and unfortunately is not compatible...nice work, Apple!! :mad:

  7. #7
    meltbanana314
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by shaun89
    Yeah. Good point! I was also a little shooken up on getting an iBook because of the Vram. But i'll wait till january till the enw powerbooks with 64MB. Do you know of any write up's on the net that talk about core image/video? I'm going to search it right now.
    If the new PowerBooks are going to be cheaper (example: PB 12" w/ Combo Drive - 1,399 USD, as opposed to 1,599 now) then I will most definitely buy one. Otherwise, I'm going to bite the proverbial bullet and get an iBook (or, wait until I can find a used/refurbished PB.)

    January better get here faster so I can stop drooling and wishing... :confused:

  8. #8
    CoRe ImAgE / ViDeO
    shaun89's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 09, 2004
    Posts
    1,072
    So i guess just the iBooks and eMacs dont work. (although i don't think many people care about the eMacs). It kinda blows. I guess it's G5 all the way!

  9. #9
    CoRe ImAgE / ViDeO
    shaun89's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 09, 2004
    Posts
    1,072
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalon
    I found this on the Apple home page. It's the list of graphic cards compatible with CoreImage/CoreVideo...
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalon

    Supported graphics cards:

    ATI Radeon 9800 XT
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
    ATI Radeon 9600 XT
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9600
    NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra
    NVIDIA GeForceFX Go 5200
    NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 Ultra

    So the issue is not only the memory, but also the type of graphic card you have...unfortunately, this list shows that this great feature is mostly supported by new Apple hardware ONLY. My not-to-old G4 came with an ATI 9000 Pro (64MB), and unfortunately is not compatible...nice work, Apple!! :mad:



    Hey! I just realized something. Maybe yours graphics card will work... Maybe they just posted those ones because they only make those ones now. So anything before with something greater than or equal to 64MB will work. They probably just wanna make you buy their new equipment. Just a guess though.

  10. #10
    meltbanana314
    Guest
    Core Image and Video will work on any OS X machine.

    But, if you don't have one of the graphics cards listed as compatible, your Mac's CPU will do most of the work.

    If you're going to be doing graphics intensive work - then a compatible graphics card is probably best since it will be more efficent at handling what Core Image has to offer (Photoshop, and FCP addicts... I'm looking in your general direction...)

    Alas, some of the features that are required by the compatible graphics cards WON'T be available, but that's the way the dice roll. Most of the features probably won't even be used by (low) end users (people who buy iBooks and eMacs,) and thus Apple didn't choose to support them. Plus, making the iBook and eMac compatible with Core Image would cut into the sales of PowerBooks and iMacs, where "the real money is."

    EDIT: DISCLAIMER: I don't even own a Mac (yet,) and I'm just using my best guess on how CI/CV work.

    But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :p

  11. #11
    CoRe ImAgE / ViDeO
    Macman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 30, 2004
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,374
    Specs:
    PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
    Quote Originally Posted by meltbanana314
    If you're going to be doing graphics intensive work - then a compatible graphics card is probably best since it will be more efficent at handling what Core Image has to offer (Photoshop, and FCP addicts... I'm looking in your general direction...)
    ahh, dont look at me that way!
    my cube has the aty rage 128 pro.

  12. #12
    meltbanana314
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Macman
    ahh, dont look at me that way!
    my cube has the aty rage 128 pro
    Maybe when new versions of Final Cut Pro, Shake, Maya, Photoshop, and 'insert favourite program here' (*cough* BLENDER *cough*) are released they can take advantage of CI/CV's features? :mac:

    Wait a minute... aren't Tiger users under a NDA?

  13. #13
    CoRe ImAgE / ViDeO
    Macman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 30, 2004
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,374
    Specs:
    PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
    o c***! some mod/admin please delete my post.no, Ill just edit it.

  14. #14
    meltbanana314
    Guest
    ****, I should have got a screenshot of that. Good blackmail material.

  15. #15
    CoRe ImAgE / ViDeO
    Macman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 30, 2004
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,374
    Specs:
    PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
    but I see it didnt delete what I posted in your quote of me.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Core Image Funhouse
    By pthirschi in forum Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-30-2009, 05:26 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-01-2008, 01:15 PM
  3. Is there a way to turn off some Core Image stuff or animations
    By hal515 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-12-2008, 10:25 PM
  4. Quartz Extreme and Core Image/Video.
    By AlexN in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-02-2005, 03:49 AM
  5. iBook and Core Image
    By irish_newbie in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2005, 06:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •