New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

No sound!!??!?!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Fomer

My speakers aren't making sound anymore? It just happened yesterday. Yes the volume is turned up. I tried turning it off over night and still nothing. There is sound however with the use of headphones.

Is it possible there is a keyboard command I accidently entered that mutes your speakers? Or anyone have similar problem?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Do you hear anything when you boot or reboot your system?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
iaminvincible

iaminvincible is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 2.16Ghz, 1GB ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fomer
My speakers aren't making sound anymore? It just happened yesterday. Yes the volume is turned up. I tried turning it off over night and still nothing. There is sound however with the use of headphones.

Is it possible there is a keyboard command I accidently entered that mutes your speakers? Or anyone have similar problem?
I have a similar problem on my powerbook. Can you tell me how you solved the problem. What was the problem? Thanks.

An apple a day keeps the doctor away...
QUOTE Thanks
Desolate One

Wot's your setup? I have my iBook connected to the Video 1 channel of my receiving unit. Do you have a similar setup and if so do you have it set to the correct channel? We may need more information to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
Jefe3223

Hi guys. Two things:
1) Agreed, more info would be good.
2) I have a thought (it's only a thought, I'm not saying it will work), but I downloaded a program, some time back, that is a sound splitter (router). What it does is bring up a menu that you can use to adjust were and what you want coming out of your speakers. Ex) you want music coming out of the headphones, but not the main speakers. Stuff like that. Now, I've never tried it, but you can download it for free at http://rogueamoeba.com/detour/ .

Like I said, though, I've never tried it, but it might be worth a shot if you're getting sound out of one port but not another.
QUOTE Thanks
iaminvincible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desolate One
Wot's your setup? I have my iBook connected to the Video 1 channel of my receiving unit. Do you have a similar setup and if so do you have it set to the correct channel? We may need more information to assist you.
I'm sorry, I misread your first post. In my case, there is no sound from the internal speakers, or using the headphones. Anyone have an idea what it may be? I tried repairing permissions and the usual...I'm thinking it might be the logic board.

QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

did you try your f4 or f5 key, i know it is silly, but just asking

QUOTE Thanks
iaminvincible

lol. Yes i tried that. Thank you for your reply though.

QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

When strange things like this just happen, no harm in tryin this: Reboot in sngle user terminal (reboot with Apple + S) And in there type /sbin/fsck -fy until there is no more **File system changed** reply - After which a typed restart reboots to normal (or type exit)
QUOTE Thanks
abiejas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fomer

I am having exactly the same problem with my Powerbook G4. I tried calling Apple care and they seemed to think it was a hardware problem with the speakers but it seemed to happen when my 3 year old son pressed a combination of keys !
Did you find a fix for your problem ?
Thanks,
abiejas
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Maybe launch Garageband? I worked for me one time.
QUOTE Thanks
iaminvincible

My issue was my logic board! Needed to get that changed and it cost me 300 bucks! neye:

Not necessarily the same issue with you though.

QUOTE Thanks
abiejas

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaminvincible
My issue was my logic board! Needed to get that changed and it cost me 300 bucks! neye:

Not necessarily the same issue with you though.
Thanks a million for your reply. Didn't work by trying Garage band. Mine is still under warranty (Thank God). Looks like I better send it in to the workshop !
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Yeah, my problem was more of a software issue. It wasn't fun, because no sound came from my computer whatsoever, the problem was widespread and Quicktime wasn't the only thing that wasn't giving me sound.

Quicktime issue!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« need help SOON! no login screen on bootup | Apps quitting unexpectedly »