New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Ram question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Fomer

I've been saying I was going to get some more ram since I bought my computer (still factory 256) well its been a year and 256 just doesn't quiet cut it anymore. I get an incredible amount of spinning beachballs. I can open 4 tabs and i have to stop for the stupid beachball about 3 times.

So I am going to buy a little bit now and little bit, in about 5 months.

I can max out at 2 1 gigs. I thought about going ahead just doing this, but its really expensive. So I've thought about 1 gig and 1 512... and thats an option. Or 512 now and a 512 down the road.

I don't want to just go up to 512, I atleast want to go 768.

So my question is, if it were possible to lay my computer out 5 different times, one with 2 gig, one with 1 gig and 512 and one with two 512's. Am I going to notice that big of a difference in speed between the three? I'm sick of this horrid lag and "thinking". I paid way to much for my computer to have to put up with the spinning beachball every night. I hope the 256 I have isn't corrupt :rolleyes:
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Original RAM is always good. Make the biggest upgrade you can. Do you run crons and repair permissions occasionally?
QUOTE Thanks
Fomer

What is cronz?

I use to repair premissions at a good rate, but I got lazy the past 4 and half months and only do it like once a month sometimes I've done once every 8 weeks! neye:

I probably leave my computer up too long to. I use it 4-6 hours a day, leave it open and on but dont touch it for probably two hours a day and then it sleeps the rest of the day. And I only turn it off for like 4 hours a week. Is that bad?
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Crons: Finder, Applications. Utilities Terminal type (switching to root - superuser) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of daily) and monthly. again with all apps closed
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What´s wrong with my mac? | Automatic Sleep »