New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Mapping FTP host as drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jakenoble

jakenoble is on a distinguished road

Hi

I have managed to 'map' an ftp host as a drive, sort of, by using Finder > Go > Connect to Server.

The server is read only. I want to be able to mount it, write and read from it.

Ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

The ftp server has probably given your username and password read only access.

You will have to contact the servers admin to get write access
QUOTE Thanks
jakenoble

If I connect using CuteFTP, Transmit, etc using the same U and P/w I have full read/write access.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Ah, I see

You might be logging on as a guest (did you get a password request when logging on)

You have to add the username and password to the adress when you connect using  K

ftp://username:password@ftp.domain.com
QUOTE Thanks
jakenoble

No this does not work either. I am sure this is a problem with the Mac rather than with the settings I am using to connect.

I am connecting to a web server for a web site. All the web sites I connect to all have read rights.

Any more ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
whitenk

whitenk is on a distinguished road

I have the exact same problem...can read but not write. But I have the same drive mapped to windows machines (with the same username and password) and can both read and write.

any advice would be much appreciated...
QUOTE Thanks
theirish33

theirish33 is on a distinguished road

i'm running loin on my mac.have done some digging around.thur finder connected to ftp sever and was able to alias the ftp drive to the desktop by draging into desktop.when reopening it sometimes i get an alais error then fix by selecting the correct drive.but still have not found a way to make the drive read/write only read.after more digging everyone says to use a cilent which i have been trying to avoid.filezilla has been working great.read/write premissions never fail.i still would like to mount the drive premently as a read/ write instead of only being able to download off alaised drive and uploading thur filezilla.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Notes synching question | Can't restore MP3s from a Time Machine backup to new Macbook Pro running Lion »