New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Browser fonts problem?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

darkmockeray

darkmockeray is on a distinguished road

i have only had my mac for 6 months and its great!!!

but, one day i went to use the internet and the font used in all browsers
had changed to a graffiti looking font that i cannot read! this is really starting to get on my nerves as you could imagine.... it is the same in all browsers, i have tried goig into system preferences b ut cannot seem to sort it out from there.

has anyone else had this problem? is it a bug? any help would be appreciated!

thanx mark.
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Noels has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM

mark,

Sounds like your font cache has gotten corrupted. Run Onyx or Mainmenu to clean out the caches. You can get Mainmenu here: http://www.santasw.com/

You could also download and run Monolingual to get rid of all non-English languages that you don't use... Could help. Note, if you use Office 2008, it won't update if you have deleted fonts that it uses... Get Monolingual here: http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/

Noel
QUOTE Thanks
darkmockeray

I got main menu and tried cleaning font cache and user cache but the fonts in my browsers are still graffiti style!!!

also excuse my ignorence but what is a cache and what gets cleaned out?

i dunno if anyone has any other ideas? PLEASE!!!

oh and one example is the 'subject' in my mails are normal when new but when clicked turn to the graffiti font...
QUOTE Thanks
darkmockeray

and thanx noel!
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Noels has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM

darkmockeray,

You're welcome!

A cache is a place where things are stored, like caches that hikers may store along a trail for those who follow who may need the supplies in an emergency later on. On a computer it's a folder where files are stored for use by a program. The caches can become corrupted with bad or extraneous files and need to be flushed from time to time to get rid of detritus that cause problems...

I'm sorry Mainmenu didn't help, but set it up in the Mainmenu Preferences to run everything, then every day or two, run the Execute Batch Tasks option. It will keep your computer working well.

About your font problem, try opening your browser's Tools or Options and see if the fonts are set up properly. In Firefox 3 it would be Firefox>Preferences>Fonts>Advanced then check to see if you have "normal" fonts selected. Other browsers can be treated similarly.

Good luck, Noel
QUOTE Thanks
darkmockeray

thanx for the info!

are ther any other tools on mainmenu that might help or any other suggestions anyone?

really runnin out of ideas here!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

I suspect you have one or more fonts that may have somehow gotten corrupt.

See this Apple article and then do the "verify fonts" they recommend.

http://www.apple.com/pro/tips/badfonts.html

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
darkmockeray

thankyou!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« imac help required!! | Keyboard shortcut for resize window (plus button) »