New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - TOO MANY ICONS IN DOCK!!! Good or Bad??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

YaZ

YaZ is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

Im a new MAC user, and i wanted to know something about the icons in my dock. If i decide to put a lot of icons in my dock (app shortcuts, etc), will this slow down my pc?? Is it Good or Bad to do this ???

My Mac specs are:
iBook G4 PPC, 1.07Ghz, 512MB, running Mac OS X 10.4.11

Cheers ,,
YaZ
QUOTE Thanks
sassula

sassula is on a distinguished road

I'm learning Logic Pro 8, and one of the suggestions made in the manual is to get rid of unnecessary widgets in the dock. Logic eats up a lot more CPU cycles than, say, word processing.

So it depends on what you need your iBook to do. If you're running Apps that are a bit CPU hungry, then a little bit of streamlining will likely help.
QUOTE Thanks
shahvikram123

shahvikram123 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2GHZ Intel C2D, 2 Gig Ram, 80 GB HD. Mac Mini: Intel C2D 2GHZ, 2 gig ram, 120gb HD

No, it's not good or bad if you have more icons in your dock; its personal preference.

Vikram Shah
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassula View Post
I'm learning Logic Pro 8, and one of the suggestions made in the manual is to get rid of unnecessary widgets in the dock. Logic eats up a lot more CPU cycles than, say, word processing.

So it depends on what you need your iBook to do. If you're running Apps that are a bit CPU hungry, then a little bit of streamlining will likely help.
Widgets on the Dashboard can make a difference, but I don't think Dock icons will. I used to have tons...
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Having a large number of Dock items can have a negative impact. Remember... the OS has to continuously render each icon on the Dock as long as it's there.
QUOTE Thanks
macuser1232

macuser1232 can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram

i have 38 icons on my 13 inch macbook pro.
QUOTE Thanks
macuser1232

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassula View Post

im also learning logic pro. its pretty difficult though. do you have any tips on where i can learn it easily?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I'm going to guess that since this is a four year old thread, (s)he won't be responding.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
macuser1232

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
I'm going to guess that since this is a four year old thread, (s)he won't be responding.
well if you didn't know, when you post comments on a post your subscribe to the post and it emails you when someone else comments
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My PowerBook G4 won't boot after updates | TextEdit »