New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Help FAAST! System preferences crash when opening background and screensaver panel!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jafoca

jafoca is on a distinguished road

So my friend and I played a trick on an intern here at work who just got a new MBP. We swapped his background out for a vista one - real simple, right.

Well, he got back and had a good chuckle about it UNTIL - the system preferences panel crashed after he tried to switch it back.

So here is the only symptom:

Open system preferences
Click "backgrounds and screensaver"
window opens, looks ok
window closes and error screen pops up saying "system prefrences unexpectedly closed"

HELP! he is ****** now!
QUOTE Thanks
Juan Largo

Juan Largo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

So let's see ... you vandalized someone else's property and now you want help to fix it FAAAAST? Good luck my friend.

iMac G3
600 MHz
OS 10.3.9
QUOTE Thanks
jafoca

vandalized is harsh for a common office prank.

People go to mac forums for help, you don't ask everyone if they have robbed a bank lately before offering advice do you?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Try deleting preferences.plist from his user library, found at ~/Library/Preferences
QUOTE Thanks
jafoca

Thanks Beach!

We figured it out before i saw your post, but you are right - that is the solution.

Delete preferences.plist and desktop.plist from the USER library.

Other sources fail to mention the USER library part.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Slow Safari & Dropped AirPORT | Problem w/Canon printer - how to uninstall and start over? »