New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - way to compare hard-drive's contents pre/post installs?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ehmjay

ehmjay is an unknown at this point

Quick question:
is there a way (be it app/terminal stuff) to compare the contents of my hard-drive before and after install an application ie: tell me what files have been added and where?

I ask because I'm about to reformat my computer which means all my big pro-apps have to be reinstalled and since I never actually know where all those bloody files end up I thought it'd be nice to have a listing of where each and everyone of these new files goes so when I do have to uninstall again (or move stuff to an external drive) i know exactly where to look.

thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

hrm

you could use diff to compare files generated by ls.

You'd have to do something like:

ls -lR / > filename1

then do the install then

ls -lR / > filename2

then diff filename1 filename2

It will show you all the differences. Would take a while, not sure if there's an easier way off the top of my head.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« blank dvds not appearing | ibook G4 ventilation problem »