New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MacBook - Flashing folder with question mark, please help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Newmaccer

Newmaccer is on a distinguished road

my comp froze up and then when i try and restart it it flashes a folder with a question mark. i have a macbook. i did the hold the power button down for 10 sec thing and restart with the option held down. the cursor comes up but the hard drive dosent show up ever. then i tried to reinstall the mac osx disk and i get it to the point where it asks me to choose my hard drive and theres just nothing to choose from.

i did the hardware test and it came up with nothing wrong so im pretty sure that its a software issue.

i also reset the ram thing and that didnt work.

i think i have a virus because my friend was on my comp downloading something i think. anyone have any other possible solutions?

thank you very much!
QUOTE Thanks
wec12

wec12 is on a distinguished road

Mine was like that before... So, what's the result? Well, my hard drive was dead. Bring your Mac to apply store so they can check the condition of your Mac. Good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
Newmaccer

wouldnt a dead hard drive show up in a hardware test?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

No it will not be a virus.

Get your install DVD, assume you have it, and boot holding down 'C'. Go to Utilities and run Repair Disk and let us know how you get on?
QUOTE Thanks
Newmaccer

ok so i ran repair disk. it came up in red saying "invalid b-tree node size" "volume check failure".

anyone know what this means?

thank you very much!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

First question you ran Repair Disk whilst booted from the install DVD and not the system operating system?

If so time for DiskWarrior!
QUOTE Thanks
Newmaccer

ya i ran disk utility through the install disk. how much would this cost to fix at the apple store?

will disk warrior fix this or is there a chance it wont?

thank you for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
Newmaccer

i was reading up on other possible solutions and came across the single user mode solution. except when i hold down the apple + S keys nothing happens. i read that you press power and then immediatly hold the apple + S keys to enter single user mode. is this correct? is it possible that my computer just wont allow me to enter single user mode because of my hard drive issue?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« IP address changes | adobe font folio »