New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

SO Scared I got a virus!!!!! What DO I DO

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sexyboy

Sexyboy is on a distinguished road

:mad: HELP!!!!! I got two viruses while suring the web with my brand new powerbook g4 1.33ghz. Then Norton Anti Virus autmoaticly detected it and it quarntined it. SO then I deleted both of them. Was that smart? I also thought mac didnt get viruses should I contact apple tomarrow and tell them to do someting am i overreacting.
QUOTE Thanks
Sexyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexyboy
:mad: HELP!!!!! I got two viruses while suring the web with my brand new powerbook g4 1.33ghz. Then Norton Anti Virus autmoaticly detected it and it quarntined it. SO then I deleted both of them. Was that smart? I also thought mac didnt get viruses should I contact apple tomarrow and tell them to do someting am i overreacting.
I figured it out i visited the same website agian after I updated to a new security patch and everytihn is fine. DO u think i should still kepp norton antivirus on autoprotwct cause it kind of slows my computer down just a bit :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
Danster

did you get a pop-up when norton found the virus saying please upgrade norton anti virus with new software? thats what proberly happend ya see like w-xp they let or make up viruses so you'll buy more software.

i have no internet protection just me firewall and i download all sorts of stuff
microsoft office, adobe photoshop etc.
and i haven't had a single problem with my mac.

uninstall norton and mail it back to those blood hounds who made it for mac in a million pieces!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Sexyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danster
did you get a pop-up when norton found the virus saying please upgrade norton anti virus with new software? thats what proberly happend ya see like w-xp they let or make up viruses so you'll buy more software.

i have no internet protection just me firewall and i download all sorts of stuff
microsoft office, adobe photoshop etc.
and i haven't had a single problem with my mac.

uninstall norton and mail it back to those blood hounds who made it for mac in a million pieces!!!
No it said norotn found a trojan then it couldnt automaticly clean it so then I deleted the virus. Then I thought mac couldnt get virsues then i went under ther little apple in the toolbar and cliked software update It said that I had to update 2 security patch and not im not getting hijacked anumore to bad websites. Thats what happened I was hajiacked to a different website then I got two trojans and I had to delete it. SO I guess I was the first person on the planet to get two treojans on an apple. Lucky me.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Macs don't get virus. These depend on the windows registry and we simply don't have that crap. Norton is not a good third party choice for Mac
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

yup, no viruses, norton has gone down the drain (to put it nicely) the last few years and usually causes more harm than it does good, often damaging b-trees thinking look, whats that? I dont know, but let me try to kill it. I say remove any norton products immediately.
theres no need for it anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

There are around 10 known viruses/trojans for OS X... don't lie to him.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

no, they are squashed by security updates, theres a couple of trojans but you have to be fooled into installing them with pirated software, there is like 2 actual viruses for mac os x, but again, dont pirate software, and you wont get them.
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

You don't have to put the virus in pirated software, you can put it into a freeware app... just claim that it cures cancer or something magnificent... it will spread.

And uhh, Opener can still screw the system, but Apple claims its not a virus... reality check, Apple.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

You have to be admin or root to install anything that can harm a Mac. True worms and virus are dependent on the registry in windows. What part of this distinction is being missed? No Unix, OS X or Linux is exposed to this idiotic OS architecture. Period
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
You have to be admin or root to install anything that can harm a Mac. True worms and virus are dependent on the registry in windows. What part of this distinction is being missed? No Unix, OS X or Linux is exposed to this idiotic OS architecture. Period
What is stopping anyone from using root/admin account while online?
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute Zero
What is stopping anyone from using root/admin account while online?
How smart they are. Admin is safe on line because of the password prompt. Never be root on line
QUOTE Thanks
Sexyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
no, they are squashed by security updates, theres a couple of trojans but you have to be fooled into installing them with pirated software, there is like 2 actual viruses for mac os x, but again, dont pirate software, and you wont get them.
well then how did i get two viruses am i just unlucky. Well I didnt install a security update so I think thats why. But im keeping norton becuase it deleted two torjans.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

Norton is searching for windows virus, they are meaningless to your Mac. Norton is the wrong choice for Mac, use Virex and only if you network to windows computers. And that's the bottom line!
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I agree with whiteshark, most likely the trojans you downloaded are designed for windows PC's..

The reason norton detects them is so you don't accidentally spread them to windows users...

But realistically the chances of you getting a Virus on OS X is very very slim indeed...

I wouldn't bother with Norton, unless you are on a network with other windows machines, in which case you might want to leave it on so you don't inadvertadly spread viruses to the windows users.

But most viruses will NOT affect your mac. The ones that will have to ask you for your password so they can install themselves...Don't give your password to any install dialogs you don't intend to install..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Most Mac friendly PDA? | Burning Multiple copies in Finder? »