New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - System Profiler

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gselliott

gselliott is on a distinguished road

I am wanting to get some system information from 20 Macs running 10.4 before we upgrade them to Leopard. I know I can use System Profiler to get the information I require but the problem I am having is that the information I am getting out is either not detailed enough (mini or basic) or way too detailed (over 200 pages of it in a Full Report!).

I just want to get the basic system info - Machine Name, Processor type, speed, serial Number etc and also a list of applications installed on the Mac, I don't need detailed info about the software just the name of the apps.

Is there any utility out there that will allow me to extract only the data i require? I have searched numerous posts and googled for hours but can't find anything useful. I am mainly a Windows Support Engineer so don't know great deal about Apple OS (but learning fast).

If anyone has any ideas I would be grateful to hear them!
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gselliott View Post
I am wanting to get some system information from 20 Macs running 10.4 before we upgrade them to Leopard.
I just want to get the basic system info - Machine Name, Processor type, speed, serial Number etc and also a list of applications installed on the Mac
I've just done a check using the parameters you've outlined and System Profiler does the lot. I see what you mean about printing a report though.

Next step - Select All from a window eg. Hardware Overview, Copy, and paste to a word processor. Fine for small amounts of text but Applications was a nightmare and caused my eMac system to seize.

The only workaround I see is screenshot (Cmd-Shift-4,) because the OS doesn't allow Print Window. Transfer the screenshots at each stage to Preview, from where you can print.
QUOTE Thanks
gselliott

gselliott is on a distinguished road

I'm very happy with the information I can get out of the system Profiler but unfortunately I need to print it out (to be presented to management) and it's either all or nothing situation, I can try the Screenshot way but it's going to take some time on 20+ Mac's. I thought there might have been a utility that could have manipulated the info i want into something readable. I thought about a script but i haven't got a clue where to start with AppleScripts!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Menu Bar Failure | Files Copied From WinXP Won't Delete? »