New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MacBook Pro - Time Machine over the internet

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MarkStokes

MarkStokes is on a distinguished road

Hey guys.

Is it possible to have Time Machine work over the internet?

I have a MacBook Pro for work and am often away on client sites, but have network connection. Can I set it up so that when I am connected outside my home the backup still works sending data back to my home network?

Obviously it would need to manage the process so that tons of data isn't flying backwards and forwards, but it could do a full backup when I am at home and then just stream changes over the net when I am away from home.

Is this possible?

Thanks

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
drewling390

drewling390 is on a distinguished road

Hey Mark,

I was just able to do this using SSH and Remote Login. My recent post goes into this discussion a bit at:
Backing Up Files Remotely.

I used MacFuse Core available on google and MacFusion to mount my disk remotely. I did a complete backup via firewire, hooked it up to my parents' computer and mounted it over the internet. Luckily, Time Machine recognizes it (given that the mounted drive has the same name as it did before) and backs it up over the internet. Cool isn't it?

I'm very new to this stuff as you may have seen from my post. Let me know what level you're on and I can give you more info to help you out.
QUOTE Thanks
drewling390

drewling390 is on a distinguished road

Scratch some of that. Time Machine is recognizing the drive, but Time Machine backups are failing over the internet. I'll keep working on it. Let me know if you make any progress.
QUOTE Thanks
MarkStokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewling390 View Post
Scratch some of that. Time Machine is recognizing the drive, but Time Machine backups are failing over the internet. I'll keep working on it. Let me know if you make any progress.
Hey buddy.

Thanks for the reply.... it sounds like you have made a good start on this. I will wait with baited breath, and as soon as I get my Time Capsule I'll give it a go. It wold be REALLY nice to have my machine backing up all the time I am connected to the net. I guess the incremental backups wouldn't use too much bandwidth once the full backup is made at home.

Keep me posted on your progress.

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
MarkStokes

Hey,

Did you ever make any progress on getting this working?

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
CrazyCleave

CrazyCleave is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,

I realize this is a pretty stale link, but since it came up first in the Google returns, I thought I would post my setup here.

I have a MacBook Pro 13" Unibody. I first setup TimeMachine to backup to a 4TB Drobo which is connected to my iMac over my home network (WiFi). When I next used the Macbook from a clients office, I noticed the TimeMachine icon moving in the menu bar. I didn't even realize this would work until I saw the icon spinning. I thought maybe it was trying to backup, and just not generating an error, but no; it was actually backing up to the iMac at my home over the Internet. Even cooler, I was able to launch Time Machine and Restore over the Internet. Although, this procedure was pretty sluggish.

Since this kind of fell into my lap, I don't really have any "setup" details but I do want to list some other things that seem to impact this feature:

I have an Airport Extreme Router at my home
I have a MobileMe account
I also have entered my MobileMe account information into the Airport Extreme router.
I have "Back to my Mac" activated and working on the iMac at home (where the TimeMachine backups live)
I have noticed, if the iMac isn't visible in the sidebar (when I'm behind some routers, Back to my Mac doesn't work); TimeMachine doesn't work either.

Hope this helps.

CC
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCleave View Post

...... Hope this helps.

CC
In terms of concept .... definitely .... you got me thinking.

Would be good to understand the actual configuration settings ( or components ) that are required to make it work end to end.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
MarkStokes

Hi,

This is a very old thread that I never really got working.

Your post has inspired me to give it another go.

Mark
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 10.6.3 won't install! | Audio Volume Mixer on Mac? »