New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MacBook Pro - External HD no longer appears in Finder...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

FreshPants

FreshPants is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook G4, 1.07Ghz, 768 MB / iPod Video / Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz

...it does however appear in Disk Utility. I've ran verify & repair checks on the disk and still no worky!

I haven't installed anything new or updated anything recently so I'm wondering what the problem is. Anyone have any ideas?

Using Leopard 10.5.3 incase that helps.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Try plugging it into another machine, Mac or PC and see if it appears. If it doesn't it may be time for a new external drive. There's also a possibility the drive itself may be OK but the interface electronics have gone bad. If the electronics are at fault, you might be able to remove the drive from its case and place it in a substitute external case.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
hexonxonx

hexonxonx will become famous soon enough

So, you can still see the drive on Disk Utility?

Did you by chance one day click on the drive and select get info? In that box, did you add a comment in the spot light box? If so, this will cause the drive to no longer show up in finder until you tell spotlight to ignore the drive. Had this very same thing happen a few weeks back. This is a bug in Leopard.

20" iMac aluminum
13" MBP
3 iPhones
QUOTE Thanks
FreshPants

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Try plugging it into another machine, Mac or PC and see if it appears. If it doesn't it may be time for a new external drive. There's also a possibility the drive itself may be OK but the interface electronics have gone bad. If the electronics are at fault, you might be able to remove the drive from its case and place it in a substitute external case.

Regards.
sorry I forgot to say in the original post, the drive appears fine in Boot Camp (on the same machine) & works perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexonxonx
So, you can still see the drive on Disk Utility?

Did you by chance one day click on the drive and select get info? In that box, did you add a comment in the spot light box? If so, this will cause the drive to no longer show up in finder until you tell spotlight to ignore the drive. Had this very same thing happen a few weeks back. This is a bug in Leopard.
no i didn't do anything like that at all. Good suggestion though and I will remember that for the future!
QUOTE Thanks
hexonxonx

Ok, try the following:

Open Apple Script in your apps folder. Copy and paste:

tell application "System Events"
set visible of disk "LaCie" to true
end tell
tell application "Finder" to quit
delay 1
tell application "Finder" to launch

Where I have Lacie, put the name of your external drive in it's place. Now click run and it will run the script. See if the drive appears now when finder restarts. Good luck.

20" iMac aluminum
13" MBP
3 iPhones
QUOTE Thanks
FreshPants

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexonxonx View Post
Ok, try the following:

Open Apple Script in your apps folder. Copy and paste:

tell application "System Events"
set visible of disk "LaCie" to true
end tell
tell application "Finder" to quit
delay 1
tell application "Finder" to launch

Where I have Lacie, put the name of your external drive in it's place. Now click run and it will run the script. See if the drive appears now when finder restarts. Good luck.
ok tried this, but when I click run I get the message,

"Applescript Error,

System Events got an error: Can’t set disk "CJS 500GB" to true."

Any ideas? I'm assuming of course I completed it all correctly
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

In Finder under Preferences, on the General Tab, be sure External Disks is checked. See pic below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic2.jpg (14.6 KB, 10 views)
QUOTE Thanks
FreshPants

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
In Finder under Preferences, on the General Tab, be sure External Disks is checked. See pic below.
just looked & its definitely checked already.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

When you open the Disk Utility and see the drive, can you Mount it?
QUOTE Thanks
hexonxonx

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPants View Post
ok tried this, but when I click run I get the message,

"Applescript Error,

System Events got an error: Can’t set disk "CJS 500GB" to true."

Any ideas? I'm assuming of course I completed it all correctly
I'm out of ideas now. When I run the script on my iMac, it works because the drive is connected. If I try to run that on my MBP without the drive connected, I get the same error you are getting. I am wondering now if your drive is bad.

Do you possibly have another computer to try the drive on? You need to verify that it is working before you can do anything else. Disk Utility may not be giving you an accurate report.

20" iMac aluminum
13" MBP
3 iPhones
QUOTE Thanks
FreshPants

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
When you open the Disk Utility and see the drive, can you Mount it?
no. I get this message,

"Mount failed

The disk “CJS 500GB" could not be mounted. Try running First Aid on the disk and then retry mounting.
QUOTE Thanks
FreshPants

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexonxonx View Post
I'm out of ideas now. When I run the script on my iMac, it works because the drive is connected. If I try to run that on my MBP without the drive connected, I get the same error you are getting. I am wondering now if your drive is bad.

Do you possibly have another computer to try the drive on? You need to verify that it is working before you can do anything else. Disk Utility may not be giving you an accurate report.
Right...I tried connecting to my old pc laptop & it works fine.

And the weird thing is , the drive works perfectly in Boot Camp on my MBP!
QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

theonegod has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro

This happened to me once or twice with my firewire drive. Unplug the drive, reboot, repair disk permissions on your main drive, reboot again, then plug in the drive.

This may help you. It helped me.
QUOTE Thanks
FreshPants

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonegod View Post
This happened to me once or twice with my firewire drive. Unplug the drive, reboot, repair disk permissions on your main drive, reboot again, then plug in the drive.

This may help you. It helped me.
no, this didn't work either!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Do not know if anything here will help but so far it's all I can find.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....049&tstart=120
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Running Slow | Data Recovery issues »