New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

reformat/reinstall os x

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

J427

Does anyone have any experience reformatting/reinstalling Panther? I'm having admin privilege issues with software update and can't figure out a way around it. Is there a way to revert to a previous version of any software? And does anyone know the "restore" or "erase" options in the disc utility? How do they work and can I reinstall Panther afterward? Or are there any recommendations to avoid any of this? Thanks for any support in this matter.
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

immdb will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

From Apple Help:

Reinstalling Mac OS X

Under some circumstances, you may need to reinstall Mac OS X. You can reinstall Mac OS X while keeping your files and user settings intact.

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install Disc 1 CD and double-click the Install Mac OS X icon.
2. Follow the onscreen instructions. In the panel where you select the destination disk, select your current Mac OS X disk (in most cases, it will be the only one available).
3. Click Options. If you want to save your existing files, users, and network settings, select "Archive and Install," then select Preserve Users and Network Settings. If you want to erase everything on your computer and reinstall Mac OS X, select "Erase and Install." You can't recover erased data.
4. Click Continue.
5. Click Customize to select which parts of Mac OS X you'd like to install, or click Install to perform a basic installation (recommended).

If you purchased a standalone version of Mac OS X, these installation instructions are in a booklet included with Mac OS X.

If you need to reinstall the version of Mac OS X that was on your computer when you purchased it, or if you need to restore all the software on your computer, including Apple and third-party applications, instructions are in the manual that came with your computer.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

if you have the panther install discs, boot from disc 1, and on the part tha has an options button on the bottom, I think its where you select your drive, use archive and install to reinstall and leave all settings and such, or erase and install to start clean. have you tried repairing permissions to fix this permission problem? and what is the problem/error exactly?
QUOTE Thanks
J427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
if you have the panther install discs, boot from disc 1, and on the part tha has an options button on the bottom, I think its where you select your drive, use archive and install to reinstall and leave all settings and such, or erase and install to start clean. have you tried repairing permissions to fix this permission problem? and what is the problem/error exactly?

I have tried repairing permissions several times, but nothing changes. The attached image shows the exact error I receive. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture-1.jpg (30.3 KB, 11 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

ok, heres what you need to do first, before even considering an erase and install, locate that file listed in the error the path is shown, and select it, go to file, select get info.
under the get info window, under ownership and permissions, make sure it says read & write, click the little arrow next to details, and make sure that all that says read and write too, then try it, keep us posted.
QUOTE Thanks
the_New_guy

the_New_guy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;

i think repair permission should have Fixed it.

Mac OSX is the bomb :bomb:
The Gadget Cast Gadgets.in
QUOTE Thanks
J427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
ok, heres what you need to do first, before even considering an erase and install, locate that file listed in the error the path is shown, and select it, go to file, select get info.
under the get info window, under ownership and permissions, make sure it says read & write, click the little arrow next to details, and make sure that all that says read and write too, then try it, keep us posted.
I've tried it with the same results. Believe me, the last thing I want to do is reformat. I just can't think of any other solution. Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

How about downloading the standalone installer and installing it from there, thus avoiding the system updater?
QUOTE Thanks
J427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
How about downloading the standalone installer and installing it from there, thus avoiding the system updater?
That has worked, but I'm also not able to install programs like Photoshop. I get the following:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture-2.jpg (15.7 KB, 7 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

hmm, repair permissions,restart, then try it.
QUOTE Thanks
J427

Nothing. Thanks anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
torchy

torchy is a jewel in the roughtorchy is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.

Archive & Install is your friend here :doctor:
Download the Combo updater from Apple first then you're good to go.
All setting are kept including your Desktop and Dock.
The only thing I had to do was replace a couple of fonts that I had installed into the main computer font file (for all users) dragged them out of the 'Previous system file' No worries.
Installed the combo updater then checked for any other updates through the normal Apple software update. All done in a couple of hours. "Slow Dialup" :-)
Take Care.

~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« DVD player gone. | MAC OSX 10.3xx authention error Connecting to Win2003 Server »