New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Remapping the Function Keys, specifically volume

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wildgunman

wildgunman is on a distinguished road

It appears that this question has been asked a year or two ago, but I figured I'd have another crack at it in case Leopard has changed this or there are new third party apps to deal with it.
--------------------------------------------------------
I have a MacBook and I desperately want to map the function keys F4 and F5 back to volume (without the hassle of fn), without remapping all of the other pointless stuff like brightness and numlock, etc.

In fact, I'd like to know if it's possible to map any set of keys to the volume command, since if that's possible I could assign it to a mouse gesture or secondary mouse button.

Does anyone know if there is a way to do this?

More generally, does anyone know how OS X handles queries to the system commands like volume and brightness? Where in the OS structure does the functionality occur? Can it be altered within the file structure, or is it part of the firmware?
QUOTE Thanks
wildgunman

wildgunman is on a distinguished road

Well, heck. I guess it is not to be...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Remote Control | Disc Question »