New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - unusual freeze up -- broken finder?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lunchbill

lunchbill is on a distinguished road

It appears that my finder is somehow frozen, but it is not the usual sort of freeze. That is, there is no spinning ball. I can use the mouse and cursor to do limited things. For example, I can open Dashboard, I can highlight file icons on the desk top, I can mouse over the dock and it shows the app/file names, I can right-click to create a new folder on the desktop, I can highlight and edit the name of files on the desktop, I can open dropdown menus for features such as Time Machine and Bluetooth and Date/Time. But no applications or files will actually open when I click on them. And I cannot access any drop down menus in the Finder. Also, the force quit dialogue box shows no apps open--not even the finder.

Now, here is the really strange thing: a forced restart gives me a few seconds of access to the dock and finder before things "freeze" up. Anything I open in those few seconds (file, app, system prefs,) will actually stay open and function (ie: I can surf the web in Safari or Firefox), but none of the open applications appear in Force Quit. And after a few seconds, I cant open anything else.

This on a Mac mini running 10.5.2.

Any thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
mcjacksonnelson

mcjacksonnelson has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3

hmm..that is strange. maybe try running verify/repair permissions and disk. see if that fixes anything.

"You can't fight in here, this is the war room!"

CONSTRUCTIV Art & Design
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchbill View Post
It appears that my finder is somehow frozen, but it is not the usual sort of freeze. That is, there is no spinning ball. I can use the mouse and cursor to do limited things. For example, I can open Dashboard, I can highlight file icons on the desk top, I can mouse over the dock and it shows the app/file names, I can right-click to create a new folder on the desktop, I can highlight and edit the name of files on the desktop, I can open dropdown menus for features such as Time Machine and Bluetooth and Date/Time. But no applications or files will actually open when I click on them. And I cannot access any drop down menus in the Finder. Also, the force quit dialogue box shows no apps open--not even the finder.

Now, here is the really strange thing: a forced restart gives me a few seconds of access to the dock and finder before things "freeze" up. Anything I open in those few seconds (file, app, system prefs,) will actually stay open and function (ie: I can surf the web in Safari or Firefox), but none of the open applications appear in Force Quit. And after a few seconds, I cant open anything else.

This on a Mac mini running 10.5.2.

Any thoughts?
If it is the Finder, try deleting the preference file for it.
http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/finder.html

You can also try Safe mode.

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
lunchbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjacksonnelson View Post
hmm..that is strange. maybe try running verify/repair permissions and disk. see if that fixes anything.
Well, this *seems* to have fixed itself after about 10 forced restarts. I jumped in and opened about four applications on one restart before it had a chance to freeze and that seems to have somehow woken up the finder. All is working now.

Still, it weirds me out and I'm a bit frightened to restart. Worried there are some corrupted files lurking.

Where can I find "verify/repair permissions and disk"? I've only used it once before and that was ages ago, so I can't remember where it lives.

---

Also, regarding deleting the Finder preferences file, what other ramifications will that have? I guess I would have to re-set any finder preferences...but anything else I should be aware of before I do it?
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice

You can find Disk Utility in the utilities folder. (applications/utilities)

To look for any corrupt preference files, download Preferential Treatment.

The Rep System and you.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
lunchbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulwar View Post
You can find Disk Utility in the utilities folder. (applications/utilities)

To look for any corrupt preference files, download Preferential Treatment.
The problem is back only worse. Someone suggested that I should make sure my OS was up to date, so I ran Software Update and found I needed to update the OS. I installed it and of course the computer had to reboot. Now, after reboot, all it will show me is my desktop image and the mouse cursor, which is live. There's no dock, no finder, no nothing else.

I tried rebooting in Safe Mode with the same results.

I'm kicking myself for not repairing permissions before the update. This is beginning to look like I'm going to burn at least a morning visiting the local Genius desk. Unless anyone has any other suggestions.
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Give these a try first.
Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck

The Rep System and you.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
lunchbill

Well, I tried a number of things with no success, so I rebooted from the install disk and wouldn't you know it, there was a "restore disk from Time Machine" option under Utilities. I restored my hard drive to before the crash and so far, the only problem was the need to rebuild my Entourage db. Thanks God for Time Machine. Still lost over a day of work time.
QUOTE Thanks
lunchbill

one issue--my fan now runs constantly and I don't know why. much noisier than before.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« delay updating to Leopard | Help! When i try to press shift during startup my computer shuts down »