New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Strange File In Trash

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wicker_man

wicker_man will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD

I have recently noticed a random strange file appearing in my Trash on startup:

It doesn't delete when I empty the trash, but when I pressed Command + I to get information, it disappeared.

When I restarted, the file appeared again, but disappeared when I got information again.

Does anybody know what the file is or how I can stop it appearing?

I did perform a firmware update on my MacBook Pro before, could that be related?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz, PowerMac G4 Cube + 17" LCD Studio Display, 2x1TB WD My Book Studio (FW800)
iPod Classic 160GB (Black), 3rd gen 40GB, iPhone 2G 16GB + Denon AH-C551K
NAD C370 + B&W 686 + Grado SR80
QUOTE Thanks
wicker_man

It has now just appeared earlier without restarting.

A google search brings up nothing. Any ideas here?

MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz, PowerMac G4 Cube + 17" LCD Studio Display, 2x1TB WD My Book Studio (FW800)
QUOTE Thanks
wicker_man

Tried repairing permissions, but it's still appearing.

If I view the trash in detail view, it is an alias, and is Zero KB in size.

QUOTE Thanks
gmenator

gmenator is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicker_man View Post
Tried repairing permissions, but it's still appearing.

If I view the trash in detail view, it is an alias, and is Zero KB in size.
Not sure if I'll know the answer to this one... but can you find the file via the terminal and run the command 'ls -al' in the directory of that file and paste the output?
QUOTE Thanks
artcarney

artcarney is on a distinguished road

Having the same problem but with a slightly different file name.

Cannot see it let alone delete it via the terminal. However, via the "ls -la" command in terminal I can see other files that I have deleted that no longer show up if I click on the trash can on my dock.

Very strange. System is completely up to date.

David
Attached Images
File Type: png screen-capture.png (66.5 KB, 28 views)
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

I too have this issue on one of my Macs. I can tell you that it happened when I had to force power off the machine. It booted up fine and on login I noticed my trash said there was something in it.

I have also had a few other bugs with my Macbook. Out of curiosity, was 10.5 an upgrade or did it come preloaded on your Macs?
QUOTE Thanks
artcarney

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsWork View Post
I too have this issue on one of my Macs. I can tell you that it happened when I had to force power off the machine. It booted up fine and on login I noticed my trash said there was something in it.

I have also had a few other bugs with my Macbook. Out of curiosity, was 10.5 an upgrade or did it come preloaded on your Macs?
I bought my iMac last December or very early January. It had the 10.5 upgrade disk in the box.

You know, you may be on to something here. I had to force power off my machine the other day. Just had to start doing that about 1 out of every three times recently, since the 10.5.3 upgrade.

Onyx won't fix it (doesn't even see it), I'm letting Tech Tool Plus do a complete surface scan. Maybe it will find and fix something ...

David
QUOTE Thanks
artcarney

I have a dual-boot configuration here, I have Windows XP loaded via Boot Camp.

My WinXP partition is VFAT so I can easily transfer files back and forth.

If I unmount my WinXP partition (it's on my desktop) the "phantom" file in my trash disappears.

I'm considering removing the WinXP partition, I've successfully replaced my "necessary" Windows programs with Mac programs but first I will try to repair it just out of curiosity to see if I can.

Do you have a similar situation there?

David
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Ok, do a ls -ali on that dir and post it here.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
wicker_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsWork View Post
I can tell you that it happened when I had to force power off the machine. It booted up fine and on login I noticed my trash said there was something in it.

Out of curiosity, was 10.5 an upgrade or did it come preloaded on your Macs?
It was an upgrade, but I used disk utility to completely erase my Tiger installation before installing Leopard.

I do remember that my MBP froze whilst shutting down when at the Apple store before installing the firmware update, so the Genius had to force a shut down by holding the power button. Upon booting, I didn't notice whether the file was there or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artcarney View Post
If I unmount my WinXP partition (it's on my desktop) the "phantom" file in my trash disappears...Do you have a similar situation there?
David
I have just tried ejecting my Windows XP partition and the file seems to have disappeared!

I also have my XP partition as FAT32 and access it via Bootcamp and Parallels (although I haven't used XP for a while on either method, and never seen the file in trash before when using XP).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
Ok, do a ls -ali on that dir and post it here.
How would I select the directory? Typing it into terminal on its own shows files in my user folder.

QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

do a ls -ali ~/.Trash

mike
QUOTE Thanks
wicker_man

OK, here it is:
Attached Images
File Type: png trash_terminal.png (15.0 KB, 41 views)

QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

well, wonder if it'd have shown before ejecting your windows partition.. every time I've seen someone complain about this they've had windows partitions though.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
kmkl

kmkl is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD

try option empty trash.

This will force empty.
QUOTE Thanks
artcarney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
do a ls -ali ~/.Trash
... brings back my Linux days!

I removed my unused Windows XP partition and no more phantom file, even after a shutdown and restart (a few hours later).

It was fortunate I could do this as I no longer used nor needed the "Windows side".

Best of luck to anyone who has to keep theirs.

David
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 10.5.6 upgrade hard drive problem on MacBook Pro 17" | MacbookPro cannot boot OS X »