New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

HELP! Too many Kernel Panics!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mainyehc

Bad news again... Unfortunately, I couldn't rescue my data... Anyway, it's not like it's the end of the world, and at least my iTunes library should be intact (it was the only thing I rescued before the big crash, apart from a few iPhoto albums...)

However, I finally decided to run Apple Hardware Test. And what did I get? An error, in the memory check. So, I guess I found the culprit; it's that stick of 1GB RAM. Honestly, I don't get it... I got it from a reliable vendor (perhaps the best in my area), I checked and double checked the specs: 400MHz PC 3200 SDRAM. Power Mac RAM... And it's faulty, or conflicting with my system, I dunno. All I know is that I've already performed a clean install, and my Mac is still behaving VERY weird. I'm really considering removing it right away... What do you think?

By the way, here is the error:

"***ERROR*CODE***ERROR*CODE***
2MEM/104/4: DIMM0/J4000
***ERROR*CODE***ERROR*CODE***"
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

sounds like bad ram, just take it out, contact the vendor you got it from and get a replacement. where did you get it? kingston is usually good brand, try crucial.com or owc.
I think the erase and install was not needed had you simply removed that ram stick and then tried starting up but its too late now.
QUOTE Thanks
Mainyehc

OS X is presenting me with a very weird bug... The system can't display numbers properly!! In the Finder, sometimes I have, for example, 236 items in a folder, I select 6 items and it will say something like "4 items out of 10 selected", it's 16:58 (4:58 PM) and it will display "16:5" in the menu bar, I mean, what the hell is going on?? Is this because of the bad RAM??

edit: I got it... my iMac, right now, can't display both the number 8 and number 9!! I'm installing updates with System Update, and when the optimization was between 80% and 100%, I would get single digit numbers, like 7% instead of 87%. Same goes for the clock: 17:08 and 17:09 appeared as "17:0". WTF??
QUOTE Thanks
Mainyehc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
sounds like bad ram, just take it out, contact the vendor you got it from and get a replacement. where did you get it? kingston is usually good brand, try crucial.com or owc.
I think the erase and install was not needed had you simply removed that ram stick and then tried starting up but its too late now.
Are you sure?? The Target Disk mode thing failed completely. I mean, totally! It would say, again, that it couldn't check and repair the hard drive. Can't the bad ram inflict some serious damage to the filesystem? It seems so... But then again, I'm not used to deal with this bad ram thing, the only thing I installed ram was when I added a 128MB stick to my PC, and everything went fine.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

ya, if firewire disk mode didnt even work, but that bad ram could cause many problems, after the updates, repair permissions, if that doesnt fix it, let us know.
QUOTE Thanks
Mainyehc

Except for some weird glitches. I've had to force a reboot more than once, because sometimes, I told the system to reboot and it wouldn't reboot. It got stuck in the blue screen with that grey spinning wheel.

But apart from that, now that I removed the RAM, I did not get any more big troubles. Now I'm desperately waiting for a replacement (maybe they're out of stock, anyway, the store hasn't contacted me yet), especially because I got used to having 1,25GB of RAM and now my machine is soooooo sloooooooow in comparison...

And btw, the RAM's brand is Lifetime. I was told at the store that it's a good quality brand, what's your opinion?
QUOTE Thanks
ravenstor

i had a similiar problem and thought it was bad ram, turned out be the original installation disk was slightly scratched and corrupted the system didn't show up till i put in some new ram, did it twice on 2 diff mem sticks, local repair installed fresh osx and it was all fine.
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

If you can, buy a new hard drive and install it yourself. I believe there are instructions at apple.com.
QUOTE Thanks
zahadum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenstor
i had a similiar problem and thought it was bad ram, turned out be the original installation disk was slightly scratched and corrupted the system didn't show up till i put in some new ram, did it twice on 2 diff mem sticks, local repair installed fresh osx and it was all fine.
yes, it does seem strange that a mem err should produce a side-ffect like a disk error!

disk util can not repair this msg - "reserved fields in the catalog record have incorrect data".

on the other hand, i cant understand how a defective installer (disk) could possibly effect any system files that would work OK with one set of mem chips but suddenly not work OK for other ram chips!? ... only way i can imagine this idea is if there are special logical addresses that the kernel uses that suddenly get 'touched' when the physical location of that address is (re)mapped - is that what a good service tech told you? ....

and btw: the installer extensively checks the media, so how is it even possible that the dvd installer could have ever made a corruption/mistake in the first place?

note: hw disagnostic reports same err msg as this fellow had with his 1GB part ...
the kernel panic msg reports 'invalid memory access' --
%SRR0: (various addresses - eg 000768a8)
%SRR1: 00003030

config: 10.4.5 (errs only occured after the upgrade from 10.4.4) on a ppc MINI with 1GB ram
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Really, really old thread!

Shouldn't these things lock themselves after, say, six months of inactivity? Hmm? I'll go suggest that....
QUOTE Thanks
piece of apple

dudee!

what up with you and your Mac! you sound like a Windows user!!
QUOTE Thanks
zahadum

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist
Really, really old thread!

Shouldn't these things lock themselves after, say, six months of inactivity? Hmm? I'll go suggest that....
i can understand the idea of closing a thread if the user has successfully resolved the inquiry (in this case the user gave up SUM and used target mode for backup instead; the underlying cause of the problem was never fully discussed).

... a new wrinkle: now there are no crashes (after 3 days of non-stop panics) ... but MoreInfo :: About This Mac reports that it sees only 512MB of ram noy 1GB (ppc mini has only one ram slot).

does this mean that osx can 'mark' bad ram the way a low-level formatting util marks bad disk sectors -- is that why the machine is niy crashing? because osx is not addressing half of the memory on one single dimm?

nice to know cuz 1GB ram is expensive!

cheers: dlf
QUOTE Thanks
zahadum

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece of apple
dudee!

what up with you and your Mac! you sound like a Windows user!!
pls explain?

how is the question about an mem err msg produced by apple's hw diagnostic boot disk _not_ a 'good' mac question?
QUOTE Thanks
Fallooza

Fallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant future

this thread is old
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

I didn't realise how old this question was. I would be nice if there was some quick obvious way to tell other than just the date.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Removing widgets | Help with Window "stuck" in corner »