New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Items that can be deleted to create space i.e.Printer Drivers??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BizWiz

BizWiz is on a distinguished road

I just purchased the new MBP 2.5 Ghz laptop with an added 4 gigs of ram. I will by using the computer mostly for running Logic and Ableton to produce and play music.

Since I will not be using the computer for many of its intended applications, what can I do to free up space? Its not like I am running out of hard drive space but I could see that being the reality in the future.

First thing I did was trashed the 3.4 gigs of printer drivers and now the OS takes up 16.4 gigs rather than the 20 or so. What other similar items could I trash to free up space? Also, since I am new to the mac world, could you also briefly describe how to do your suggestions?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

Welcome to Mac-Forums!

Here's a start...
http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/freeingspace.html

Just be careful what you delete. If your unsure, keep it in the trash, but don't delete it right away. Even one (needed) missing font could stop your Mac from booting.

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
BizWiz

BizWiz is on a distinguished road

Thanks, but that does not help.

I am looking for ways to save space via deleting some unused bundled portions of the OS X. As I mentioned, for example the printer drivers are useless hence I deleted them. If I ever want to install a printer I will just use the cd that it came with. I am looking for similar space saving features. What items will I most likely not need in the OS that take up alot of space?
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Also, note that after you delete any files, the space is not freed up until you empty the trash can. I emptied 50gb out of mine a couple weeks ago.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't properly save and use script (Perl) files | OS X and windows media files »