New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - DOS mode? How do i get out of it?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Spike161comcast

Spike161comcast is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I am a completely new mac user. I have a macbook that i received as a birthday gift. I am having some troubles with it. Overall its really cool. But sometimes i download a program but when i try and run the .exe file to instal it a text file opens with the message "This program cannot be run in DOS mode" and a bunch of programing code (i assume) is under it.

I have searched on how i can get out of DOS mode but was unsuccessful in finding results.

Can someone explain to me how i can get out of DOS mode so that i can instal programs? The programs that i have downloaded where mac programs so that isn't the issue. I would appreciate any help you can lend me.
Thanks.

-spike
QUOTE Thanks
i8alldapie

i8alldapie is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook 2ghz 2GB RAM, Aluminum Imac 2GB RAM 500GB HDD, Dell Insprion 5160, 512mb Ram, Windows XP

how did u get in DOS mod in a mac? were u using Terminal? Macs cant read EXE files, there WIndows only. Run windows through emulation, boot camp, or parrallels. DO NOT USE CROSSOVER SINCE IT DOES NOT WORK!

Mac sucks and PC rules.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

There is no "DOS" or "DOS Mode" on a Mac, unless you are running Windows through Boot Camp, Parallels, or VMWare.

If you are, then you'll have to tell us which one.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike161comcast View Post
Hello,

I am a completely new mac user. I have a macbook that i received as a birthday gift. I am having some troubles with it. Overall its really cool. But sometimes i download a program but when i try and run the .exe file to instal it a text file opens with the message "This program cannot be run in DOS mode" and a bunch of programing code (i assume) is under it.

I have searched on how i can get out of DOS mode but was unsuccessful in finding results.

Can someone explain to me how i can get out of DOS mode so that i can instal programs? The programs that i have downloaded where mac programs so that isn't the issue. I would appreciate any help you can lend me.
Thanks.

-spike
Program files that are *.exe or *.msi are Windows executables and will not run in OS X. When you download programs make sure they are for OS X and not another operating system.

OS X does not have a "DOS" mode or an emulated DOS mode. Again, that's Windows. If you want to run Windows programs on your Mac you'll have to either install Windows XP SP2 or Vista by using Boot Camp. Or as an alternative, you can install VMWare Fusion or Parallels and then run a version of Windows in a virtual session from within OS X.

Anyway, don't worry about being in DOS mode - you were never in DOS mode to begin with....
QUOTE Thanks
Spike161comcast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Program files that are *.exe or *.msi are Windows executables and will not run in OS X. When you download programs make sure they are for OS X and not another operating system.

OS X does not have a "DOS" mode or an emulated DOS mode. Again, that's Windows. If you want to run Windows programs on your Mac you'll have to either install Windows XP SP2 or Vista by using Boot Camp. Or as an alternative, you can install VMWare Fusion or Parallels and then run a version of Windows in a virtual session from within OS X.

Anyway, don't worry about being in DOS mode - you were never in DOS mode to begin with....
Ah... alright. Well, that makes me feel better knowing that i wasn't in some kind of weird mode that mucks up my programs.

Thanks for the info.
One last question, tho.

I looked up boot camp and i know how to open it. From what i gather (and im not good with this stuff) all i have to do is get windows on my macbook and i can switch from windows to mac at will. So i wont loss anything that i have on my mac. Am i correct? If so can you tell me how i can get windows xp on my mac? Is it as simple as getting a disk or downloading it from the internet?

Thanks.

- Spike
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

You would need to follow the bootcamp setup instructions (they're on the apple site) and have a valid XP service pack 2 install CD and license.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
PinkLemonade

PinkLemonade has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Ah... alright. Well, that makes me feel better knowing that i wasn't in some kind of weird mode that mucks up my programs.

Thanks for the info.
One last question, tho.

I looked up boot camp and i know how to open it. From what i gather (and im not good with this stuff) all i have to do is get windows on my macbook and i can switch from windows to mac at will. So i wont loss anything that i have on my mac. Am i correct? If so can you tell me how i can get windows xp on my mac? Is it as simple as getting a disk or downloading it from the internet?

Thanks.

- Spike
Well, I wouldn't recommend downloading it, but if you open BootCamp and allow it to partition your hard drive to a reasonable size (Just FYI, a partition is a section of your hard drive that is set aside, usually for another OS) it will take you through the steps to install Windows if you have a CD of it.
QUOTE Thanks
Spike161comcast

Ah, ok. Thanks alot. My pc friend actually has the windows xp disc but he knows jack about macs so he didn't know what to do in my case. Im sure I could get the disc from him for a day or two. If not i'll get one off amazon.

Thanks again guys.

-Spike
QUOTE Thanks
55tthhfe

55tthhfe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks.

-spike

Hey everyone, I am having this same problem (getting the same error message), but I am not running windows on my mac. I am just trying to install a language workbook cd, which says it is compatible with both PC and Mac. When I open the folder, the setup.exe is there... but of course it won't open because it's on a Mac... so how am I supposed to install it? I'm clearly not in DOS mode, because I can't be, correct? So what the heck! Thanks ahead of time for any help..
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Did you read the other posts in this thread?

There is no DOS mode on Macs in OSX. EXE files are WINDOWS ONLY. Setup.exe is a Windows executable and will not run on OSX. If that CD says it will run both Windows and Mac, you need to look for the Mac installer if there is one.

How old is this CD? It maybe for older Macs with Pre OSX Mac OS.
QUOTE Thanks
irmckoy

irmckoy is on a distinguished road

The only EXE files i know you can use are DOS files

How to Play DOS Games in Mac OS X | eHow.com
QUOTE Thanks
kayteela@mac.co

kayteela@mac.co is on a distinguished road

I've been having the same trouble. I'm trying to switch my Adobe Photoshop from my PC to my MacBook, but it won't set up because of this DOS mode. I've already deactivated it on my PC & it keeps saying DOS mode on my Mac. Help me out?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Did you read the rest of this thread? This is a Mac. OSX has nothing to do with Windows. OSX will not run any .EXE file. There is no DOS mode on a Mac.

Only way to run Windows Photoshop on a Mac is install Windows Via Bootcamp, run a virtual machine and install Windows in it, or an Emulator.

You can also get a hold of Adobe and transfer to a Mac version of Adobe.
QUOTE Thanks
myeyemac

myeyemac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Did you read the rest of this thread? This is a Mac. OSX has nothing to do with Windows. OSX will not run any .EXE file. There is no DOS mode on a Mac.

Only way to run Windows Photoshop on a Mac is install Windows Via Bootcamp, run a virtual machine and install Windows in it, or an Emulator.

You can also get a hold of Adobe and transfer to a Mac version of Adobe.
I was about to post the same question as so far I've not seen an answer. But to be told, "Did you read the rest of this thread?" would clearly give me the hump.
I'm highly PC literate but not Mac-literate. It feels like the response doesn't consider the basis of the question. Us Mac-newbies are clearly experiencing an issue we can't relate to in PC-terms. I've bought and downloaded two games recently; I get the same error. The files are all .exe and assuming mac doesn't do .exe I've got a compatibility problem. The nugget I and perhaps many mac-newbies will be trying to figure out is, why if the games are labeled for mac, don't they work? So, some good advice would help us identify which software is suitable for our state of the art technology. What markings are we looking for. e.g. XP, Vista, 98.. in Mac terms. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

If the games were labelled as Mac compatible, you downloaded the wrong version. Which games did you get?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Uppercase Letters | Kernel Panic: Uncorrectable Fbd memory error detected »