New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

osx freezes at "login window starting"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tmaruca

I am using a pbook 17" osx 10.3.5. when it boots it gets to the "login window starting" with the progress meter almost all the way to the right then it just stops. the meter is moving but not progressing. I have ran Diskwarrior, Norton disk utilities and repaired disk using startup disk. In firewire mode I threw away the login plist from the root/library/preferences.
any ideas
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

Have you installed any new software or hardware recently? also, try starting up while holding shift to boot in safe boot mode, if the mac starts up all the way, theres an extension conflict. also, try repairing permissions by booting from the panther install disk 1.:mac:
QUOTE Thanks
tmaruca

No new installations, the only mode I can boot into is single user mode, unfortunately I am not a command line wiz so that is not real useful.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

In single user terminal type /sbin/fsck -fy until ***file system changed*** stops showing
QUOTE Thanks
tmaruca

powerbook hd appears to be ok,
is what I got on the first try.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Do you have any reason not to do a full install from your CDs?
QUOTE Thanks
Dalton29

Dalton29 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G5 Dual 2Ghz, 1.5Gb Ram

I had the exact same problem after a system crash. I tried all the usual methods of fixing my Alu PB 15" but eventually got it working by starting in safe mode (hold down 'Shift' on startup) & deleting the 'loginwindow.plist' & the 'com.apple.loginwindow.plist' from both the HD Library Preferences & my Home Library Preferences. I then did a Permissions Repair & it started up. Hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
seanicus

I am having the same problem. I got it to start rebooting in Safe Mode, but it still froze at "login window starting"....
QUOTE Thanks
Racing666

try zapping the PRAM...hold command, option, P and R at the same time and power on the machine...hold it for about 10-20 seconds, then let go and try that....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do you install MS media player on the mac? | islamic calendar adjustment »