New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

95% of the update is enough? Need help here...


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
maikutis

 
Member Since: Feb 09, 2004
Posts: 63
maikutis is on a distinguished road

maikutis is offline
A friend of mine was updating her ibook from 10.3 to 10.3.5. Another friend was helping her, and told her that the update download only needed 95% to really finish. He told her that this was normal, and quit the download in order to save time. Now, Safari, Addressbook, disk utility, and several other programs do nothing. I'm not sure what to tell her. I originally thought it had to do with the problem that is effecting some others concerning the update, so I completed all the "fixes" that were recommended for that problem, however nothing seems to be working.

Two things: First, anybody have pointers on fixing this? Second, has anybody ever heard of this 95% theory? It sounds bunk to me; if it isn't 100%, it isn't complete. I just need to know if I'm wrong here. Thanks.

mike.
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

 
immdb's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 04, 2003
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 652
immdb will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

immdb is offline
1. I would download the 10.3.5 combined update and install it.
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...e_10_3_5_.html

2. repair permissions

3. Tell your friend that she doesn't need a friend, like her other "friend"!
QUOTE Thanks
ApplejustWorks

 
Member Since: Dec 28, 2003
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 911
ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

ApplejustWorks is offline
What type of stupid theory is that....95 %.....DUH!........

If you spent all that time getting up to 95 percent, isnt it worth it just to...finish it off.....some people...I just don't get it!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

 
rman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 24, 2002
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 12,591
rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

rman is offline
As was suggested use the combo update to re-install 10.3.5. Also don't forget to repair permissions after the update.

Sound like the incomplete download was/is corrupted.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

 
Member Since: Jul 22, 2003
Location: Hamilton College
Posts: 7,003
trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

trpnmonkey41 is offline
If 95% was all that was needed for the update they would have not included the other 5%

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
rman

 
rman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 24, 2002
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 12,591
rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

rman is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
If 95% was all that was needed for the update they would have not included the other 5%
lol .

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
maikutis

 
Member Since: Feb 09, 2004
Posts: 63
maikutis is on a distinguished road

maikutis is offline
Thanks everyone.

The guy who told her was a computer science major. He said that this was common, said the last 5% was merely "searching the hdd to make sure everything would fit, it's pretty much useless". So, I'm not a comp-sci major, and figured I must be missing out. I didn't want to tell her that her friend was wrong without having a little back up. Thanks.

mike
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Networking Help! Password fails | Does OS X keep temp files? »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
10.1 to 10.1.5 update problem dipper OS X - Operating System 7 04-19-2007 08:41 PM
Problems installing firmware update Evil Homer OS X - Operating System 0 10-12-2004 01:40 PM
Failure to restart after Software Update. Newbie help. Toanjii Apple Notebooks 2 10-03-2004 07:17 PM
Superdrive update question Bob Anderson Apple Desktops 0 02-14-2004 12:37 AM
Apple posts QuickTime for Java update 6.4 Murlyn Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac 0 10-24-2003 11:06 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?