The Giver
    Virus', spyware, trojans
    Can you get any of those? I have Norton.. but I can't really trust it? Do I have to worry about viruses and stuff?

Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    No. Not unless you need to network your Mac to Windows systems. I don't recommend Norton on Mac

Specs:
    PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
    Quote Originally Posted by witeshark
    No. Not unless you need to network your Mac to Windows systems. I don't recommend Norton on Mac
    there are currently no viruses for mac os x, though some windows viruses can affect files on your mac and cause corruption. Norton has gotten bad recently, and actually does more damage than good in most cases. I use intego virus barrier in case of a pc virus finding its way onto my mac. norton even started several rumor about new viruses on mac to boost sales. theres like 1 trojan horse on mac, but it was squashed by the last security update, and theres a sorta virus, but you sorta have to be tricked into installing it, its more of a scriptlike
    entity, one that automatically deletes your files.

I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
    Specs:
    PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
    There are around 5-10 Mac OS X viruses, I wouldn't really worry about it.

Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    None of them true virus/worms, as the real thing needs the windows registry. And what has existed has no way to circumvent permissions :alien:

m1k
    there are currently no viruses for mac os x, though some windows viruses can affect files on your mac and cause corruption. Norton has gotten bad recently, and actually does more damage than good in most cases. I use intego virus barrier in case of a pc virus finding its way onto my mac. norton even started several rumor about new viruses on mac to boost sales. theres like 1 trojan horse on mac, but it was squashed by the last security update, and theres a sorta virus, but you sorta have to be tricked into installing it, its more of a scriptlike
    entity, one that automatically deletes your files.
    I once got a Windows virus from looking at nekked wemmun

But I just deleted it and scanned my system with Norton and the world was back to normal.

Norton does suck though, it automatically scans on mount (for everything, every time!) I finally turned it off because it was so annoying. And the LiveUpdate window stays on top of all the other windows, and you can't minimize it. ARGHH!!!

Specs:
    Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
    Hmm.. Viruses.. Yummie!

The Giver
    So what is the point of having any virus protection on ur mac....

code777
    that's what i say, the kid at the apple store begged to differ, telling me i HAVE to get .mac for the virus protection blah blah how macs can get a lot of viruses, trojan horses, etc... i think he was new or he was hoping i would buy .mac... whatever

Thread Information