New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - how to install external Display

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

solidpeter

solidpeter is on a distinguished road

Hello,

i've got a problem with installing a external display.

normally you can take an external display and the right cable,
and than you go to the preferences of the display.

only i have 2 options display and color, i've got an i-mac G5 with os X 10.4

The only thing i see is the same image on 2 screens, i don't have the option to slide from 1 to the second screen.

Mine boss has the same i-mac only newer version and the same Dell external display.

can anybody help me?
QUOTE Thanks
Chilbear

Chilbear is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5

It sounds like you have mirrored displays (same on both). Look for a check box and uncheck it. My checkbox is under Displays > Arrangement for Tiger. You need 2 cards for this to work from a desktop if I recall unless your card has two outputs (hopefully DVI) from the same card.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

You have an iMac G5, which only supports mirroring.

Apple did not support multiple desktops on the iMac until the Intel models.

You may be able to find a hack to enable a second desktop for your G5, but it is unsupported and you do so at your own risk.
QUOTE Thanks
solidpeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilbear View Post
It sounds like you have mirrored displays (same on both). Look for a check box and uncheck it. My checkbox is under Displays > Arrangement for Tiger. You need 2 cards for this to work from a desktop if I recall unless your card has two outputs (hopefully DVI) from the same card.
i don't have the option arrangement? only display and color
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidpeter View Post
i don't have the option arrangement? only display and color
Here's why:
Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist View Post
You have an iMac G5, which only supports mirroring.

Apple did not support multiple desktops on the iMac until the Intel models.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
solidpeter

so when i'm understanding it right, i've only the option mirror.

wouldn't be better to leave the option external display, on the i-mac.
so even can't use a cable to instal my display.

by the way sorry for my english,
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

The screen spanning doctor tool might help:

http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« forward a message which is image included at Gmail | Java SE 6 in Tiger? »