New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Continuous Problem With - Application Installer Quitting

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JBannister

JBannister is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure as to when this started happening, but everytime I try to install new software I automatically get the good old "the application installer quit unexpectedly" error. I'm pretty angry about this seeing as it reminds me of pos windows machines; any help would be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

First thing to try is repairing permissions. If you don't have a utility like Onyx or MainMenu to do that, you may have to use Apple's Disk Utility since those two might require the installer.

If that doesn't work, try creating a new user and see if the problem recurs with that user.

Also try installing something while in "Safe" mode. You get to Safe Mode by rebooting, then pressing and holding down the "shift" key as soon as you hear the startup chime until you see the grey Apple logo and spinning progress indicator.

Let us know what happens. We can go from there.
QUOTE Thanks
JBannister

Well I tried the last two things and neither one worked; well I couldn't even get it into safe mode because it just sat there for like 5 minutes. How exactly do i repair permissions. It doesn't give me any options when I am viewing the disk in disk utility.
QUOTE Thanks
JBannister

It won't even let me select repair permissions.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Alrighty. Well offhand, it sounds like you have something seriously corrupted in your system. What it is exactly is tough to say. There's one thing you can try to avoid reinstalling the OS completely, but be sure you do this exactly.

EDIT: Do this first actually... we should make sure the disk drive isn't going bad: Boot from the DVD, exit the OS installer, and run Disk Utility from the DVD. Have it verify the disk (and repair permissions). Directions here.

If the disk checks out OK but the permissions repair doesn't work, then read on...

Make a copy of /Library... name it Library-Old, or something like that. /Library is the folder you see if you are looking at the contents of your disk drive. Once you are sure you have the right folder and have a backup copy, delete the original /Library. Do NOT delete the Library folder that is found under the System folder, nor the one under your user's home folder. You may have to boot from the install DVD in order to do this. OS X will rebuild the Library from scratch... you'll have a virgin, untainted copy.

With any luck, this will solve your problem. It may break some applications... just reinstall those. Again... be absolutely sure you are deleting the correct Library folder and have the backup just in case. Barring this... I don't an alternative aside from reinstalling. As long as the problem isn't rooted in the System folder somewhere, this should work.
QUOTE Thanks
JBannister

Alright well I don't exactly how to do the whole /Library thing or what not so I'll prolly just end up reinstalling the entire system. I did this in January before I put in the new OS because I usually like to clean things up so I know there is nothing affecting it prior to the new OS. If I have any other questions I'll PM you. Thanks for the info.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« sharing Mac Dock icons | old Mac running new os »