New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Leopard 10.5.2 crashing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pako80

pako80 is on a distinguished road

HI,

did anyone experience any crashing with 10.5.2 i have experienced it almost 5 times now and sometimes i lost work, it totally crashes my Mbpro and i have to press the button in order to restart it

any feedback?

MacBook Pro 2.4hz C2D
Powermac G4 733mhz Quicksilver
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Spotlight the Application "Disk Utility" and open it. Highlight your Macintosh HD in the left sidebar, and click the "Repair Disk Permissions" button. It should take several minutes. See if that helps.
QUOTE Thanks
pako80

i did that but still had the crashes, i also tried to verify disk but when i did that the system crashed while doing it !

MacBook Pro 2.4hz C2D
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

You may have something installed that the system doesn't like. Let's try a few troubleshooting steps.

First off, unplug EVERYTHING (including cell phones, iPods... everything!) from your computer except a standard keyboard and mouse. Reboot and see if you continue to have trouble. If you don't have any more trouble, then the problem has something to do with something that was connected.

If you continue to have trouble, then create a new user and log into that user. If you have no trouble with the new user, then something is rotten in your regular user's Library. If you continue to have trouble, then likely something is rotten in the root Library. Try these steps first and let us know how it works out.
QUOTE Thanks
pako80

thanks for the suggestions

when i do repair permissions i get

"ACL found but not expected in library" is this something normal?

MacBook Pro 2.4hz C2D
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

Doesn't sound like it. Something to look at.
http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/macosx-10-4.ars/8

If things are still crashing, I would recommend an Archive and Install. It sounds as if something is corrupt or misplaced. And with the hiearchy of OSX, it would be hard to isolate.

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulwar View Post
If things are still crashing, I would recommend an Archive and Install. It sounds as if something is corrupt or misplaced. And with the hiearchy of OSX, it would be hard to isolate.
Rather than going through the trouble of an Archive and Install, it's actually far simpler to just backup the User Library (if the problem can be isolated to there), or the root Library (if the problem is not isolated to the User), then delete or rename the original Library. OS X will just recreate a fresh, virgin, untouched Library and all should work as if you had freshly installed OS X, except all the patches and updates are already there. Once done, just pull out the important stuff from the Library backups, like Safari's bookmarks for example.

The problem with an Archive and Install is that if you migrate the user back, you likely will migrate back in the original problem.
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pako80 View Post
thanks for the suggestions

when i do repair permissions i get

"ACL found but not expected in library" is this something normal?
Just to update, according to Apple, "this is accurate, but not a cause for concern and can be ignored".
I'd post the link, but I have my newborn on me sleeping. Gotta love the iPhone!

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
jah

jah will become famous soon enough

mine (10.5.2 mapbook pro) locks up at least a few times a week to the point i need to un do the battery.

this reminds me of some sort of other low performance os out there.

this is my first mac product and my discovery apple products have a level of hype they is not supportable.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jah View Post
mine (10.5.2 mapbook pro) locks up at least a few times a week to the point i need to un do the battery.

this reminds me of some sort of other low performance os out there.

this is my first mac product and my discovery apple products have a level of hype they is not supportable.
Have you at least called Apple about it? So long as you complain to yourself about it crashing and not seek out the reason WHY it is crashing or get help sorting it out, it's going to keep crashing and keep ticking you off. No one to blame but yourself on that.
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Perhaps installing the 10.5.2 Combo Update would do some good here. Just a guess, though.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can I migrate emails/bookmarks without having to migrate apps? | Time Machine »