New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Back To My Mac Configuration With Linksys Router

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

section8joe

section8joe is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 1.25 15inch powerbook

I'm trying to get access to my powermac remotely using BTMM. I have a Linksys WRT54G WIRELESS G BROADBAND ROUTER, v. 3 using the correct firmware. I also have UPnP enabled. I can't access the computer remotely. Can someone help me out? I'm running 10.5.2 on both computers.
QUOTE Thanks
section8joe

section8joe is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 1.25 15inch powerbook

Anybody?/
QUOTE Thanks
Junodixon

Junodixon is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.2 Ghz 17" Macbook Pro, 2gb ram, 160gb HDD

I found this, it talking about the macbook air but it will work for you.

When you leave your home, though, things get trickier. How can your MBA talk to your server if they're not on the same network?

One option is Back To My Mac (BTMM), one of the features in the current release of .Mac. BTMM claims to be an easy way for your two Macs to talk to each other; however, it cannot always be used. Beyond the fact that you have to pay $100 a year for a .Mac subscription, the biggest issue is that your network routers at both ends (i.e., where your server is and where your MBA is) both have to support UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) or NAT-PMP, and they must be correctly configured to allow you to use one of those two technologies. If you find yourself in a hotel or a public WiFi spot where neither of those protocols is in use or where they're using an unsupported router, your BTMM is suddenly unusable.

There is an alternative to BTMM which (1) is free and (2) only requires changes on your home router. Basically, if you open a specific port on your router and forward that port to your server, you can get to the server from anywhere you can access the Internet with your MBA. Here are the basics:

1. On your router, configure port 548 to forward to port 548 of the internal IP address of your Mac server (a Mac Pro, iMac, Mac mini, or some other Mac that's always home and on) for both TCP and UDP. For example, your Mac server might have an IP address like 192.168.1.1. (NOTE: The steps to set up port forwarding vary from router to router. Please consult your router's documentation to see how to set this up.)
2. On your Mac server, go into System Preferences > Sharing and make sure that File Sharing is turned ON. Also, click Options under File Sharing, and make sure that "Share files and folders using AFP" is turned ON, and make sure the list of users includes YOUR account with Read & Write access.

IMPORTANT!: You also need to set the access for "Everyone" to "No Access". If you fail to do this, someone might potentially be able to access your server's files simply by directing their Mac to connect to yours. The only account(s) that should be permitted access are "name" accounts (your name and other accounts you specifically created).

3. You will need to know your home network's external IP address: This is the IP address that's assigned to your home by your cable company or ISP. You can usually get this IP address from your router's control panel, or by going to http://checkip.dyndns.org. (Before you ask: Your external IP address does NOT start with "192.168". It will be something totally different.)
NOTE: You could also install a Dynamic DNS client on your Mac and use it to associate a domain name like "www.myhomedomain.com" to your external IP address. This costs a little each year, but it eliminates the need for you to have to fiddle with IP addresses, especially if they ever change. You can get a Dynamic DNS client here: http://www.dyndns.com/support/clients/mac.html.

That's all you have to do at home. When you're on the road, you can connect your MBA to your home Mac server using these steps:

1. In Finder, choose Go > Connect To Server.
2. In the Server Address box, type your home system's external IP address. For example, "123.123.12.123". Or, if you have a domain name that points to your home system, you can type that. For example, "www.myhomedomain.com".
3. Click Connect. A password prompt dialog box will appear and ask you for your name and password. Select "Registered User", and then enter your user name and password from your Mac server. If you want, you can check the box for "Remember this password in my keychain".
4. Click Connect. You will see a list of all of the shares on your Mac server.
5. Select the share(s) you want to connect to, and click OK.

Voilà! You are now connected to your home Mac server from your MBA. You can access files, copy files back and forth between your MBA and your server, delete files, whatever you want, as long as your MBA remains network-connected. The next time you go to connect, it should go even more quickly (especially if you save your password in your keychain, and if you add your home IP address/domain name to your list of Favorite Servers in the Connect dialog box).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OS X 10.4 on a MacBook Pro Intel chip | using iDisk to share files »