New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Was using )S X, but restarted, and now stuck, in OS 9

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

g4cody

g4cody is an unknown at this point

Ok, so have a G4 400MHz with the 5x DVD-ROM drive and a blazing 256MB. I had installed OS X 10.2(Jaguar) on the mac and was recently running the system fine. One of my friends was messing around with the mac since he's from geek squad and isn't very familiar with mac's and restarted the system and it booted into OS 9. And now it is stuck in OS 9. Tried restarting, didn't work. Tried yelling at it, didn't work. <br><br>I also tried using the OpenFirmware to try and boot OS X, but that stuff is complicated and I have a lack of knowledge for OF commands. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

Hold the option key while booting and select OSX.
Afterwards, go to System Preferences-Startup Disk and select OSX. It will boot from OSX from then on.

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
g4cody

That just gives me a screen with an icon on the left similar to that of a "refresh" icon, then an icon of my hard drive and the name of the hard drive under it, and then an icon with an arrow pointing to the right.

What to do now?
QUOTE Thanks
g4cody

can someone help or is there no true mac gurus out there?
QUOTE Thanks
AlyciaAnimation

AlyciaAnimation has a spectacular aura about

Here are some instructions on how to change it from os 9

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106667

(To get to the start up disk control panel click on the apple in the top left and select control panels>start up disk)
QUOTE Thanks
g4cody

no you see... when i pull up the drive selector thing, I only get an icon of my hard drive, and then a network drive. And I can't do anything from there. It's merely a window showing those two icons.

But now my mac is stuck in some sort of start-up screen. Shows refresh icon and right arrow icon... and that's it. I thought macs were superior to windows, but this is something i've never encountered with windows.
QUOTE Thanks
AlyciaAnimation

AlyciaAnimation has a spectacular aura about

When you start your mac don't press option, just let it go to os 9. Then follow the directions from above.

You wouldn't have this problem if you didn't mess with things when you didn't know what they were. (or let your friend mess with it) Your Mac is only doing what you told it to do.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Double Shut Down and Restart options?!?... | File Heirarchy Renaming Blunder, HELP! »