New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Bootable back up cd of Apple Restore CD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jchae

I understand that Microsoft allows people to make legit bootable backup copies of Windows XP. I tried to do this with my Apple Restore cd for my Powerbook G4 but failed. I thought that just making an image of the cd and then burning it through Disk Copy would work but it doesn't recognize the disc after reboot even though I hold down C. I'm not trying to pirate the CD or anything, I just have a habit of losing things often because I move around a lot. Thanks for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

immdb will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

I found these instructions at another site, maybe they can help. If all else fails you can copy & burn it in Toast.

1. Launch Disk Utility (in the Applications: Utilities folder).
2. Insert the first Panther CD, and when its icon appears in the left side of the Disk Utility, select Mac OS X Install Disc 1.
3. Click on the New Image button at the top of the Disk Utility window and, in the resulting sheet, name the file (Panther 1, for example); then select DVD/CD Master from the Image Format pop-up menu. Don't change the None setting in the Encryption pop-up menu.
4. Click on Save and eat half a snack while Disk Utility creates an image of the disc.
5. Select the image and click on the Burn button.
6. Insert a blank CD-R and enjoy the other half of your snack while Disk Utility burns and verifies your disc.
7. Repeat for all the other Panther discs that you want to back up.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Creating Folders | Changing the computer name? »