New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Dual boot Tiger and Leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jobborrow

jobborrow is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13" 2.26 GHz 320GB 4GB Ram, iMac 2006, 250GB 2GB RAM & 3G iPhone

Hi

I'm a mac convert (from PC obviously). I'm very good at dualbooting anything PC, but on the mac it's a different story.

I've got an Intel core duo 2ghz 2gb RAM iMac 20". It's running Leopard - I also have its original Tiger discs (guy I bought machine from supplied all). I've done a fresh install of Leopard, but I'm really curious to see how Tiger ran on this machine (since Tiger was its original system). I've been using VMfusion and XP - works amazingly, but VM doesn't seem to have an option to virtually boot Tiger, the only alternative I can see is running Tiger from an external USB 2, however, I can't find a clear cut tutorial on this. Any thoughts?

At first I thought the machine was sluggish, I've since noticed that it's fast, but there is stuttering when Rosestta is in town (look at me, mac for two weeks and you'd be surprised what I've learnt!).

If anyone has a way I can try this, I'm 100% sure it can be done, but I don't want to get it wrong.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Use Disk Utility to split your drive so you have an extra partition to install Tiger to. Be sure to use the Disk Utility from Leopard... Tiger's Disk Utility is "destructive" when it comes to partitoning. Leopard's isn't.

Once you have your new partition, boot from the Tiger install DVD by holding down the C key. Then tell the Installer to install to the new partition.

To choose which OS to boot from once you are all done, just hold down the OPTION key while booting... you'll get a menu of available OSes to boot from.
QUOTE Thanks
jobborrow

Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13" 2.26 GHz 320GB 4GB Ram, iMac 2006, 250GB 2GB RAM & 3G iPhone

That sounds super easy! I guess it's this easy as I'm starting from Leopard and boot Tiger, rather than having a pre-installed Tiger and wanting to boot a Leopard! What's more, this way I will have a true install of Tiger, not one running from a USB drive, so I will get the true impression of it. Have you ever tried this method yourself?
Thank you very much for your help, I will let you know how I get on once it's done.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobborrow View Post
That sounds super easy! I guess it's this easy as I'm starting from Leopard and boot Tiger, rather than having a pre-installed Tiger and wanting to boot a Leopard! What's more, this way I will have a true install of Tiger, not one running from a USB drive, so I will get the true impression of it. Have you ever tried this method yourself?
Thank you very much for your help, I will let you know how I get on once it's done.
Well I've done it to have a secondary copy of Leopard installed... in case anything fatal happens to the one I normally work from. It also helps to have a "virgin" copy installed for troubleshooting purposes. I haven't had Tiger installed since upgrading to Leopard... don't have a need.
QUOTE Thanks
jobborrow

How much do you suggest I commit to the Tiger install? The partition manager automatically gives it half. If I click on the HD icon there's no option to create a partition, but if I click on the drive full title, (250GB etc blah blah) it gives me the partition option. Does that sound ok? Also it wants to do it as a extended OS journal (or something) is that cool? One other thing, it says if I click the first area where the os it, that I can't erase that as it's the system area, that's fine, as I wouldn't want to erase it, but would then the second new area be the same once I've got Tiger on it as it too is an OS? I ask as I only want to try Tiger and may well delete it after a few days.

Thanks for your help so far.
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

I ran two partitions with Tiger on each for a while. (I killed one when I decided two partitions of OS 9 were more important ).

I can't recall exactly how much extra space you should leave for OS X to allow it to run properly. I think it requires about one-quarter of the disk or partition be empty so it can run its housekeeping chores as well as its virtual-memory needs.

Real radios glow in the dark.
QUOTE Thanks
jobborrow

so really if I give it 80ish gb I should be ok, and they I can always kill it and reallocate it to the main drive right? All without ever damaging my initial install of leopard?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobborrow View Post
so really if I give it 80ish gb I should be ok, and they I can always kill it and reallocate it to the main drive right? All without ever damaging my initial install of leopard?
Yes indeedy.
QUOTE Thanks
jobborrow

Update:

I did it last night, it took longer than I expected! My Tiger install disks are bundled with computer discs, so they put loads of other stuff on them. The only trouble I had was when it got half way through the install of the 2nd DVD it said installation errors, try again! So I tried again. It gave me the option to redo that part of the install, I did and it was fine.

It really was exceptionally easy, much easier than creating a Vista XP dual boot (which could kill the average human with the need to edit bootloaders and create a slip stream with necessary RAID drivers). Essentially it's a very similar thing; daul boot the current OS and a legacy OS. It all just makes me more impressed with the MAC.

My Tiger and Leopard observations:

Well, so far I've not really noticed much difference in performance, Tiger does Scale minimize/maximize more smoothly than Leopard on my machine, the genie is the same-ish. I'm not sure why this is, but it's not really that important. I guess my next job is to try some software that requires Rosetta and see if there's any noticeable performance difference.

Thanks for the support
QUOTE Thanks
belunos

belunos will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: First gen Mac Pro, Dual 2.66

If I may interject here, I find it fascinating that the Mac, the 'amateur' system, handles partitioning and os installs so much better than Windows. You would think partioning on-the-fly would be a standard on any OS this day and age, but you still can't do it with MS
QUOTE Thanks
jobborrow

Here's a new and interesting problem related to this: I have decided that I don't really like the 'clunky' bluetooth wireless keyboard I had, and the standard blueooth mouse, so today I bought myself a new super slim ali keyboard and a mighty mouse (wired). Only trouble is, holding option down with the new keyboard has no effect during start up and won't let me select the boot drive? What the heck? The old Bluetooth one still lets me do that, but the usb wired keyboard won't? When it's all on the new keyboard functions just as it should. What the heck is going on? Any thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I think you'll need to download from Apple's website an update for that keyboard of yours.

When I bought an Alu keyboard for my iMac G5, there was an update for the keyboard so you could have full usage of all the keys and prevent certain conflicts with some apps like QuarkXPress, as an example.

If you run Software Update with the new Alu keyboard plugged in, it should be able to detect the patch you need.
QUOTE Thanks
jobborrow

The latest update for the ali keyboard is 1.2 as far as I can see (which I have) the apple update returns nothing related to keyboards and on further digging around various threads this is a common problem for which there is no fix! It seems that the 2006 iMac (what I've got) has this problem, I'm unclear as to what other machines have it, but it's shockingly disgraceful in my opinion, I would expect it from MS, didn't expect such poor support from apple. The keyboard didn't even come in a box that told you the keys during startup are totally unresponsive. I'm shocked by this, I still love my mac, but it proves they're all the same! How can a computer be used effectively if you can't access any features during start up? C doesn't work, Option doesn't work, can't select boots can't boot from disc. Others on forums have suggested that the best thing to do is use your apple remote, holding menu lets you select the boot drive... shocking!
QUOTE Thanks
jobborrow

http://forum.maccast.com/index.php?showtopic=15161

The people here seem to know something - I'm quite disappointed about this... The Ali keyboard is so slick, there should be a notice on the box saying "known issue when used with 2006 iMac".
QUOTE Thanks
jobborrow

A standard made-for-windows keyboard (labtec £9.99) works, you can select you bootable drive with that, boot from disc with that, but a £29.99 made-for-mac keyboard doesn't function with a mac.... Three times the price, half the functionality, You have to agree, it's pretty poor!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dockables Lock Screen | How do you fix up a screwed up dock? »