New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Leopard OK to upgrade to now?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MBasile

MBasile has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook CoreDuo

So I have a question for the early adopters of Leopard. Are you happy with hte current version (10.5.2)? Are there any annoying bugs that have yet to be fixed? I am thinking of upgrading now that I have upgraded to 2GB of ram on my Core Duo MacBook. I am planning, whenever I upgrade, to backup a sparse image with SuperDuper and then do a clean install (whatever erases the current OS on the given partition).

My other question is when I do a clean install, will it erase the chosen partition or the whole disk? I have a windows partition and would rather not go the the hassle of redoing that whole thing too.
QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8

I can say that after having used Leopard from launch to current, the stability has improved quite a bit, and now, I am yet to have a kernel panic (happened a few times in Tiger) and I have had few program crashes. Personally, I think it's definitely okay to upgrade, and considering that you've upped to 2GB of RAM, it'll be an improvement on most fronts.

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Quad i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB HHD - OS X 10.8
MacBook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD - OS X 10.6

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Chilbear

Chilbear is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5

I just brought my system up from Tiger yesterday so I could load the CS3 Suite. So Far no issue and everything works and connects. I say go for it. Do an Archive and Install and you are good to go.
QUOTE Thanks
mathogre

mathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.

Chilbear's right on the Archive and Install. Baggss had a thread on installing Leopard when it first came out; there were other threads too. You might search for any details.

I was a first adopter, and yeah, there were some bumps along the way but Leopard is good. If you're not sure you're ready, make a list of the apps you run, especially anything that is critical to you. Look them up and make sure they run properly. There was a thread on app compatibility early in the release, and I believe it was started by MHC. While it's probably no longer being maintained (I can't remember the last time I saw it come up in the new postings), you might still check it.

I don't care what brand or version of OS is popular. If it can't do what you need it to do, it isn't going to be good for you. I love Leopard, but if it couldn't run something I need, I'd be reluctant to go to it.

Hope this helps!

Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
Integrate me. Differentiate me.
You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I have Leopard on my MBP. As of 10.5.2, I am quite pleased with it. I am not seeing any more stability issues. The only thing that really annoys is how the Dock is still somewhat "jerky" - as you pass the mouse pointer over it, or run it along the row, the icons do not expand and contract with the fluid grace they do under Tiger. This is annoying, but not really much of a problem. I would say that Leopard is a safe bet at this point.

That having been said, I have no plans to upgrade my G5 from Tiger to Leopard. Using both on a regular basis now, I do not find Leopard to be compellingly better than Tiger - I already have a multi desktop solution (YouControl Desktops) so I don't need Spaces, and I do my own manual backups, so I don't need Time Machine. I frankly don't like Stacks and as you see from above, I don't like the behavior of the Dock. I am aware that Leopard has MANY more features than those I have mentioned, but they were the ones I was really interested in, and I can clearly do without Leopard's version of them for now. I will stick with Tiger for a while to come I think.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
MBasile

MBasile has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook CoreDuo

Thanks for the info guys! I mainly use my computer for Photoshop, Safari, Thunderbird (I wish mail had hotmail support), Adium (but I'll give the new iChat a shot), and iTunes
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Selecting start-up disk... | Fixing invalid sibling link »