New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MacBook Pro - Prevent mouse from resuming from standby?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tigerotor77w

Tigerotor77w is on a distinguished road

Is there a way to prevent the mouse from waking the computer out of standby?

I close the lid at night to put it into standby, but I don't want a roommate, for instance, to wake up the computer by nudging the mouse.
QUOTE Thanks
cowasaki

cowasaki is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.

The touchpad or an external mouse. If external which type? There is an option under bluetooth (from keyboard and mouse in preferences) to allow or disallow bluetooth devices bring the computer out of standby.

Experienced computer user, applications programmer and component level service engineer but came to the Apple platform with intro of intel!. Pro-photographer and director of electronics company.
QUOTE Thanks
Tigerotor77w

An external USB mouse.
QUOTE Thanks
Tigerotor77w

Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If you don't have an external monitor attached, a USB mouse is not going to bring your MBP out of sleep when the lid is closed.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

My bluetooth wireless Mighty Mouse will bring my Macbook out of sleep if I don't turn it off before I close the lid. So I have a kind of checklist:

Turn off mouse.

Disconnect from power.

Close lid.

Macbook goes to sleep. Wake is reverse of sleep. In the case of USB external mouse, I'd disconnect it prior to closing lid.
QUOTE Thanks
Durajim

Durajim is on a distinguished road

I'd love to know if this is possible, too (with a USB mouse)

My cats come and sleep on my desk sometimes, they are always waking up my MBP, I've trained them to not stand on the keyboard with a lot of success - Training them to not move their tail or paws when they've spread out to take up what feels like 10 square meters isn't going to happen any time soon

MBP 15" (Feb08) for my work, iMac G5 (ALS) for the lady, iBook G4 (RevB) for general use, Mac Mini G4 (RevA) under the TV.
Macs of the past: Dying in the loft
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

With a bluetooth mouse, there is no need to go through all of that.
If you don't want it to wake your system, go into the Advanced menu under Bluetooth in System Preferences and take the check mark out of "Allow bluetooth devices to wake my computer"

If your USB mouse will wake the MBP when the lid is closed, am kinda curious to know what mouse it is. None of the 5 USB mice I have will wake either my MBP nor my MB from sleep with the lid closed. From the Logitech Revolution down to a $5 mini I have for backup. They all will wake them from sleep with the lid open.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Tigerotor77w

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
If your USB mouse will wake the MBP when the lid is closed, am kinda curious to know what mouse it is.
It's a Logitech VX450. The receiver is plugged directly into a MBP USB port (i.e. not through a USB hub).

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerj View Post
My bluetooth wireless Mighty Mouse will bring my Macbook out of sleep if I don't turn it off before I close the lid. So I have a kind of checklist:
I try to remember to turn off the mouse, then close the lid, but sometimes I forgot until I've closed the lid (at which point lifting the mouse off the desk to turn it off... un-wakes the computer. )
QUOTE Thanks
Tigerotor77w

Anyone else?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Leopard Macbook Pro Discs. | Applications stop working, pop in dock then disappear! »