Prevent mouse from resuming from standby?
    Is there a way to prevent the mouse from waking the computer out of standby?

I close the lid at night to put it into standby, but I don't want a roommate, for instance, to wake up the computer by nudging the mouse.

Specs:
    Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
    The touchpad or an external mouse. If external which type? There is an option under bluetooth (from keyboard and mouse in preferences) to allow or disallow bluetooth devices bring the computer out of standby.
    Experienced computer user, applications programmer and component level service engineer but came to the Apple platform with intro of intel!. Pro-photographer and director of electronics company.

An external USB mouse.

Any ideas?

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    If you don't have an external monitor attached, a USB mouse is not going to bring your MBP out of sleep when the lid is closed.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
    My bluetooth wireless Mighty Mouse will bring my Macbook out of sleep if I don't turn it off before I close the lid. So I have a kind of checklist:

Turn off mouse.

Disconnect from power.

Close lid.

Macbook goes to sleep. Wake is reverse of sleep. In the case of USB external mouse, I'd disconnect it prior to closing lid.

I'd love to know if this is possible, too (with a USB mouse)

My cats come and sleep on my desk sometimes, they are always waking up my MBP, I've trained them to not stand on the keyboard with a lot of success - Training them to not move their tail or paws when they've spread out to take up what feels like 10 square meters isn't going to happen any time soon
    MBP 15" (Feb08) for my work, iMac G5 (ALS) for the lady, iBook G4 (RevB) for general use, Mac Mini G4 (RevA) under the TV.
    Macs of the past: Dying in the loft

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    With a bluetooth mouse, there is no need to go through all of that.
    If you don't want it to wake your system, go into the Advanced menu under Bluetooth in System Preferences and take the check mark out of "Allow bluetooth devices to wake my computer"

If your USB mouse will wake the MBP when the lid is closed, am kinda curious to know what mouse it is. None of the 5 USB mice I have will wake either my MBP nor my MB from sleep with the lid closed. From the Logitech Revolution down to a $5 mini I have for backup. They all will wake them from sleep with the lid open.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    If your USB mouse will wake the MBP when the lid is closed, am kinda curious to know what mouse it is.
    It's a Logitech VX450. The receiver is plugged directly into a MBP USB port (i.e. not through a USB hub).

Quote Originally Posted by walkerj View Post
    My bluetooth wireless Mighty Mouse will bring my Macbook out of sleep if I don't turn it off before I close the lid. So I have a kind of checklist:
    I try to remember to turn off the mouse, then close the lid, but sometimes I forgot until I've closed the lid (at which point lifting the mouse off the desk to turn it off... un-wakes the computer. )

Anyone else?

Thread Information