New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Scheduling processes across CPU's/Cores

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

urlugal

urlugal is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.1 Core 2 Duo w/ 1GB Ram

I tried searching the forum and google and didn't turn up much so here are my somewhat intelligent questions. Is there a way that I can set different processes to execute on a given core. I understand how to set priority and how to background process, at least in Linux, but is there a way to do this. I don't mind if it is not an installable solution or if it's something I have to hack.

My reason for doing this is I run Virtual Box with XP and Visual Studio. I gave them 512RAM as Visual Studio can be a memory hog above and beyond Windows. I am going to max out my Ram in the near future and I really don't have any noticeable slowdown issues but I did find when running iStat that the load is not very balanced or it could be balanced better IMHO.

I am still very new to Macs so I am slowly figuring out what their capabilities and strengths and weakness are. I have also been searching for a good book on the OSX kernel, I have been reading through the Apple Development stuff and at least the files I have found are not real meaty. If I can't find the stuff through Apple how close is it to the Free BSD kernel. I am pretty sure it is a ways off of the Linux kernel or am I wrong? I am looking for something like the O'Reilly books "Understanding the Linux Kernel" and "Linux Device Drivers" both of which leave few stones unturned.

I also found an O'Reilly book called "Mac OS Tiger for Unix Geeks" among a ton of other seemingly good books for Tiger. I understand with different OS versions things can dramatically change but do you think that these books and that one in particular is worth it or should I wait.

Matty
-Rules and Models Destroy Genius and Art-
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« printer history | disable splash on startup »