Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: ReiserFS

  1. #1


    Member Since
    Apr 03, 2008
    Posts
    16
    ReiserFS
    Hello,

    I've been using Linux for many years now but my department decided to give me a Macbook to play with. Most of my external Hdds are formatted ReiserFS which doesn't seem to be supported [leopard can't read them]. Is there a way to install support for ReiserFS or at least know which file systems Leopard supports so that I format them to one of these systems?

    Cheers,

    Paulo Matos

  2. #2


    Member Since
    Jan 31, 2008
    Posts
    195
    I believe Leopard runs on hfs+ formatted partitions.

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Apr 03, 2008
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Largo View Post
    I believe Leopard runs on hfs+ formatted partitions.
    But that doesn't say either if it is possible to add reiserfs support to leopard or which fs types are supported.

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Jan 31, 2008
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by PMatos View Post
    Hello,

    Is there a way to install support for ReiserFS or at least know which file systems Leopard supports so that I format them to one of these systems?
    I think my post was clear: Leopard supports hfs+. If you format the partition to hfs+, Leopard will support it. You can to it with Parted Magic Boot CD.

  5. #5

    mac57's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 29, 2006
    Location
    St. Somewhere
    Posts
    4,560
    Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    Unfortunately, Macs do not support ReiserFS. I checked out MacFUSE to see if it might support it, but that is a no-go as well. I am afraid that you are out of luck wrt getting a Mac to directly support your ReiserFS hard drives. You may have to put them onto a Linux system and then access them from the Mac through the Linux box via sshfs or some such.

    My understanding is that ReiserFS is falling out of favor even in the Linux world? I don't remember the exact reason, but I seem to recall that it is more "political" than technical. Anyway, for example, SuSE no longer defaults to ReiserFS, falling back to good 'ol ext3.
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Apr 03, 2008
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Largo View Post
    I think my post was clear: Leopard supports hfs+. If you format the partition to hfs+, Leopard will support it. You can to it with Parted Magic Boot CD.
    So I would assume Leopard supports nothing else than hfs+ which is false.

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Apr 03, 2008
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
    Unfortunately, Macs do not support ReiserFS. I checked out MacFUSE to see if it might support it, but that is a no-go as well. I am afraid that you are out of luck wrt getting a Mac to directly support your ReiserFS hard drives. You may have to put them onto a Linux system and then access them from the Mac through the Linux box via sshfs or some such.

    My understanding is that ReiserFS is falling out of favor even in the Linux world? I don't remember the exact reason, but I seem to recall that it is more "political" than technical. Anyway, for example, SuSE no longer defaults to ReiserFS, falling back to good 'ol ext3.

    Thanks for reply, however, I've never read anything about ReiserFS going behind. SuSE might no longer support it but that's a distro and in my opinion, a *disgusting, horrible, hate it, all negative feelings* one. Linux still supports ReiserFS and I doubt it'll cut the support from either v3 or v4.

  8. #8

    mathogre's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 20, 2007
    Location
    Oakton, VA USA
    Posts
    3,269
    Specs:
    White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
    Quote Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
    My understanding is that ReiserFS is falling out of favor even in the Linux world? I don't remember the exact reason, but I seem to recall that it is more "political" than technical. Anyway, for example, SuSE no longer defaults to ReiserFS, falling back to good 'ol ext3.
    It has something to do with the fact that the original author is on trial for the murder of his wife.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=reise...ient=firefox-a
    Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
    Integrate me. Differentiate me.
    You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

    Homepage | Gallery
    I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Apr 03, 2008
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by mathogre View Post
    It has something to do with the fact that the original author is on trial for the murder of his wife.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=reise...ient=firefox-a
    Thanks!

  10. #10


    Member Since
    Apr 03, 2008
    Posts
    16
    Will it read Ext2 or Ext3?

  11. #11

    Aptmunich's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 09, 2004
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    9,073
    Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    This page has some info:
    http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/osx/arch_fs.html

    (Check the bottom note)

  12. #12


    Member Since
    Apr 03, 2008
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
    This page has some info:
    http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/osx/arch_fs.html

    (Check the bottom note)
    Thanks! On the other hand I can format it as HFS+ and I know that Linux reads that...

  13. #13

    mac57's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 29, 2006
    Location
    St. Somewhere
    Posts
    4,560
    Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    Quote Originally Posted by PMatos View Post
    Thanks for reply, however, I've never read anything about ReiserFS going behind. SuSE might no longer support it but that's a distro and in my opinion, a *disgusting, horrible, hate it, all negative feelings* one. Linux still supports ReiserFS and I doubt it'll cut the support from either v3 or v4.
    Wow, I feel exactly the opposite. SuSE remains a real favorite of mine. 9.3 was a standout - a bit slow, but a standout. 10.3, which I run now, is simply exceptional. Extremely fast to boot up, completely stable, very well supported, huge selection of app...

    I use Arch Linux (which I call a "roll your own" Linux - you configure EVERYTHING by hand) and SuSE - SuSE is sort of the opposite of Arch in that everything is beautifully thought out and preconfigured. I am constantly amazed at how detailed and well thought out SuSE is.

    Just my two cents.
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

  14. #14


    Member Since
    Apr 03, 2008
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
    Wow, I feel exactly the opposite. SuSE remains a real favorite of mine. 9.3 was a standout - a bit slow, but a standout. 10.3, which I run now, is simply exceptional. Extremely fast to boot up, completely stable, very well supported, huge selection of app...

    I use Arch Linux (which I call a "roll your own" Linux - you configure EVERYTHING by hand) and SuSE - SuSE is sort of the opposite of Arch in that everything is beautifully thought out and preconfigured. I am constantly amazed at how detailed and well thought out SuSE is.

    Just my two cents.
    I am amazed at how polite you were in your reply [people usually tend to be much more agressive when it comes to defend their distro].

    I don't know SuSE that well. Last time I tried SuSE was more than 5 years ago. I use Gentoo as my everyday distro. I tried Ubuntu lately which is very good but I am really used to Gentoo. Yesterday I got a laptop replacement from my department because my Gentoo laptop died. The replacement is a macbook. It's been hard to adapt. If I feel it is impossible, I'll install Gentoo on it!

    However, I am interested in hearing how do you adapt, sync files, etc between your linux and mac life.

  15. #15

    mac57's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 29, 2006
    Location
    St. Somewhere
    Posts
    4,560
    Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    Well, I have written a guide on that very topic! Check out my web site (www.Campbell-tx.net) and follow the links to my Linux To Mac Switcher's Guide. Let me know what you think.
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Moving files from external "reiserfs" HD
    By steve1401 in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-19-2006, 02:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •