New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - problems with leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tomfoolerywow

tomfoolerywow is on a distinguished road

I just installed leopard on my ibook g4. First I had to install extra ram. That worked and the leopard install worked. The problem is that there is now very little unused space on my hard drive. I had about 10 gigs before leopard and now I only have about 4 and it's slowing me down. I went to finder and looked at everything listed in the hard drive and found how much space it uses and came up with a total of about 30 gigs so i should have more room on the hard drive than the 4.8 it's telling me is there. Are there things that I can delete and where is the rest of my space? Is the panther taking up space needlessly? Do I still need my os 9 on the hard drive?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Did you erase and install or do you have two operating systems installed? When you mention Panther sounds like two which is not a good practice have the two on the single drive.
QUOTE Thanks
tomfoolerywow

tomfoolerywow is on a distinguished road

how can i tell if i've got two operating systems on my hard drive?
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

If you did an Archive and Install, this type of installation moves existing System files to a folder named Previous System, then installs a new copy of Mac OS X.
If you have a "Previous System folder", you can delete it.

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« tiger on a g3 ibook with a cd | Selecting start-up disk... »