New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard, can't repair permissions properly

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

yolojo

yolojo is on a distinguished road

The other day my computer (MacBook Pro) was running slow, so I decided to repair the permission and the disk, by booting it off a CD. I accidentally used the 10.4 OSX for this process.

Afterwards my photoshop started to act weird. It says things like I don't have enough privileges to save or edit my pictures. I figure this was because I used the 10.4 OSX, so I repaired my permissions again with my 10.5 OSX CD.

The problem is not solved, and apparently when I try to repair permissions it says permissions cant be repaired.

Help anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Try using the disk utility application located in application -> utilities folder. It is not a good ideas to repair permission from the install media unless it is the same revision that you are running.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
yolojo

I've tried that already, and it doesn't work.

HELP!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

Try the Verify option and see if any repair is needed. If not, then I would recommend an Archive and Install.

Some info for you on permissions.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25751

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
yolojo

I've tried the verify option and there are repairs needed, but when I try to repair them it doesn't.
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc that came with your computer, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
  2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)
    Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.
  3. Click the First Aid tab.
  4. Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
  5. Select your Mac OS X volume.
  6. Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
yolojo

That's exactly what I did.
QUOTE Thanks
Chilbear

Chilbear is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5

If you have done this sequence and cannot fix the disk - back up now.

Start planning to reinstall with the Archive and Install as mentioned. if that doesn't fix it Erase and install is next. Be prepared something is up with the drive.
QUOTE Thanks
fernblatt

fernblatt is on a distinguished road

The same thing happened to me. Several times. On two computers. I doubt it's the drive or any other hardware problem.

Everything worked perfectly until I went from Tiger to Leopard, then all heck broke loose - 8 months later I'm back with a slow computer. It's a new shiny 24 inch Intel iMac 3somethingGHz, 4 Gb mem, teeny 320 Gb drive. (What is it with Apple and small hard drives? When I replaced the drives in the G5, as mentioned below, I was able to get a pair of 1 Tb drives for around 80 dollars each. Same price now for 1.5 Tb external I bought for this one.... but I digress...)

First time this popped up was November last year on my G5 PowerMac, a few weeks after I updated to 10.5.4. Went through all the motions, showed what permissions were wrong, wouldn't fix them.

I gave in and bought a new drive and did a scratch install.

Again, same thing after a short while, slowing down and no permissions repair, manually or otherwise. Apple suggested it was the logic board.

*scratches head* the logic board? Yep, same thing was brought up in a half dozen forums, I forget which and where, but it doesn't matter...

I bit the bullet and bought a new machine, iMac 3 point something Ghz. After installing the 10.5.7 update the same thing happened. Again, I got the same advice as above, but as of yet no resolution. And to add insult to an empty pocketbook, the darned thing is slower than my G5.

Anything at this point, including animal sacrifice, that would help would be very welcome. (It would have to be a small animal, like a mouse, so it can be disposed of easily. lmao)

Anyone that thinks they have the answer, please email me directly at this username at gmail dot com.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need to re-index Spotlight | Pictures not showing up to see...what did I do how to fix it ? »