New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

iMac - How do I know it's Leopard?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Virginia P

Virginia P is on a distinguished road

Just unpacked my first Mac - 24 inch 2.4 - (refurbished and immaculate)

Tried to download the latest Safari and got an error message saying my machine was not able to accept it, needed greater spec.

This must mean that it is not the latest Leopard version? How can I tell? It was sold as having Leopard installed.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Go to the Apple in the top left of the screen and go to "About the Mac." It should say version 10.5.2 if you're running the latest version. If not, click the software update right below that.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Virginia P. I hope you enjoy your stay.

bryphotoguy answered your query but I would add this in case it comes in handy in the future... Here is from Mac-Forums's FAQ section, how to gather all the info on your Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

How are you downloading Safari? It's best to just do it through Software Update (click on the Apple logo in the top left)
QUOTE Thanks
Virginia P

Thanks for your help everyone. Did as suggested by briphotoguy and downloaded the latest version - moved from 10.5 to 10.5.2 and now accepts latest Safari without problem.

Stuck on setting up email - is this the place to ask?

I really do need the full Idiot's Guide....
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

It's Bry with a Y but close enough.

What are you having trouble with using Mail?

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
rohan

rohan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz Quad i7, 16GB | 27" iMac 3.1 GHz Quad i5 12GB| OS X.x | iPhone 4 iOS 7.1.2

well wherever you ask...i think you need to ask a little more...could you elaborate what you mean by setting up email...are you trying to set up mail to work with your existing account?

<< i can explain it to you...but i can't understand it for you... >>
QUOTE Thanks
Virginia P

Sorry about the "i" bry -

Mail -

I have three email accounts with a local telecoms provider - I can access and use them online, but I was trying to get them to all arrive in the mail application of the Mac, as they currently do with Outlook on my PC

I went through what seemed to be the correct procedure - and have set up three accounts. The POP? address is mail.manx.net. For each account I set up, I was asked for my password, and I inputted the password I use for each account.

Unfortunately, when I try to CONNECT each account I get a message to the effect "Mail cannot verify identify of mail.manx.net"

I also get a message, when i enter the password for each account "The POP server for mail.manx.net rejected the password for user virginia p"

I have tried to start again by deleting what has been set up, but am unable to get the three accounts deleted. I suspect there is some very basic misunderstanding on my part, and if I could start again, by about 2010 I will have it sorted, but until I can delete and start again, I am a bit stuck

Advice for a novice very gratefully received...
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What Internet Service Provider (ISP) are you with? Are your email accounts through your ISP? I can probably figure out what you are doing wrong if I know the ISP so I can check out their settings.

Did you use the same settings that worked in Outlook on the PC?

EDIT: If this is them here is a Setup guide for setting up manx.net with Apple Mail.

Hope this is your ISP and this helps.

http://www.manx-telecom.com/pdf/Set_...nxnet_Mail.pdf

I think your issue is you have mail.manx.net instead of mailin.manx.net for your POP server.

Also Welcome to Mac Forums and to the world of the Mac and OSX!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Virginia P

Thanks for that dtravis - I approached it from the wrong end - but still no joy. You were right about using mailin.manx.net instead of the settings on my Outlook.
However, when I try to set up my account - on the Incoming box I get the message "Trying to log into the POP server "mailin.manx.net" failed. Make sure the user name and password you entered are correct, then click Continue If the information isn't corret, you cannot receive mail.

I get a similar message on the outgoing mail server box. I am certain that the username and the password are exactly the same as I use for the account via Outlook.

Just cannot fathom out what is wrong, though no doubt it is something very simple to do with username and password

Help, once again, gratefully received....
QUOTE Thanks
rohan

rohan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz Quad i7, 16GB | 27" iMac 3.1 GHz Quad i5 12GB| OS X.x | iPhone 4 iOS 7.1.2

umm ....is it possible that you should select it as an imap account? this may not work....but its worth a shot...

<< i can explain it to you...but i can't understand it for you... >>
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

You don't have SSL checked by accident do you?

According to the setup instructions their ISP is using a POP account so IMAP would not work.
QUOTE Thanks
Virginia P

I get the error message "make sure the user name and password you entered are correct" before the option of checking the SSL box comes up

So I am still stuck

Awaiting advice from the Manxnet helpline.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia P View Post
I get the error message "make sure the user name and password you entered are correct" before the option of checking the SSL box comes up

So I am still stuck

Awaiting advice from the Manxnet helpline.
Let us know if they offer any help. I sent you a Private Message.
QUOTE Thanks
Virginia P

Right - I have been in touch with my local telecoms which provides my email accounts. Despite having the 'how to do it' link - as posted by dtravis7 above, they now tell me that their manxnet addresses do not work with Apple and that it is a fault of Apple. I find this very hard to believe. Why have that link on their site?

So gentlemen, what is the best way to proceed. I have a Google account - is that any good, and how would I configure that, and how do I get my Manxnet accounts to arrive there? Do I have to set a .mac account?

So many questions.....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Prefrences not being saved - Tiger 10.4.10 | Master Password issues. Help? :-D »